anyweb

How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1902 on Windows Server 2019 with SQL Server 2017 - Part 6

Introduction

This multi-part guide will show you how to install the latest baseline version of Configuration Manager from Microsoft. The latest available baseline version is System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1902 as of April the 10th 2019. I blogged how to upgrade to 1902 here. This guide is aimed a new installations of SCCM. Baseline media is used to install new ConfigMgr sites or to upgrade from supported versions, for more information about baseline media please see my blog post here.

This series is broken down into the following parts:-

You can use this multi-part guide to get a hierarchy up and running on Windows Server 2019 using SQL Server 2017. The concept behind this is to guide you through all the steps necessary to get a working Configuration Manager Primary site installed (for lab use) using manual methods or automated using PowerShell. This gives you the power to automate the bits that you want to automate, while allowing you to manually do other tasks when needed. You decide which path to take. PowerShell knowledge is desired and dare I say required if you are in any way serious about Configuration Manager.

I will show you how to do most steps via two methods shown below, it's up to you to choose which method suits you best but I highly recommend automating everything that you can, using PowerShell.

•         Method #1 - Do it manually
  •         Method #2 - Automate it with PowerShell

Downloads

The scripts used in this part of the guide are available for download here. Unzip to C:\Scripts. The scripts are placed in the corresponding folder (Part 1, Part 2 etc) and sorted into which server you should run the script on (DC01 or CM01).

Scripts.zip

Step 1. Create device collections

Note: Perform the following on the Configuration Manager server (CM01) as a Local Administrator

In this part you'll create some device collections to prepare your lab for Servicing Windows 10, whether using WAAS (Windows As A Service) or  using the Inplace Upgrade (IPU) Task Sequences built into ConfigMgr. The collections created include some based on the recently released Windows 10 version 1903.

Method #1 – Do it manually

You can create collections using the ConfigMgr console and clicking your way through the wizard, you'll need to add membership queries to populate the collections, and include Include or Exclude rules as appropriate. To create collections manually open the Assets and Compliance node and select Device Collections.

device collections.png

Right click on Device Collections and choose Create Device Collection.

create device collection.png

In the wizard that appears give the collection a name, eg: All Windows 10 and limit it to another existing collection by clicking on Browse and selecting an existing collection to limit to for example All Systems. A limiting collection decides what collection members of this collection must be in first in order to appear within this collection.

all windows 10.png

Next you decide how you want the collection to populate with members, the most common method of populating a collection is to use a query, so click on the Add Rule drop down box and selct Query Rule.

query rule.png

Doing so brings up the Query Rule properties screen, give the query a suitable name such as All Windows 10.

all windows 10 query.png

Next click on Edit Query Statement and then select Show Query Language

Note: In a production environment be very careful about editing query statements on 'live' collections that have Task Sequences, Packages or Applications deployed to them, otherwise you can have unintended results by making a mistake with the query.

In the Query statement properties screen, remove the current query (which basically selects EVERYTHING in your environment) and in its place, paste in a working (known good) query, for example for All Windows 10 use the following query.

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId
 where (SMS_R_System.OperatingSystemNameandVersion = 
'Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 10.0'
 or SMS_R_System.OperatingSystemNameandVersion = 
'Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 10.0 (Tablet Edition)')

Click OK to close the Query Rule Properties screen. Next you can optionally adjust the membership schedule by clicking on Schedule.

schedule.png

Click your way through the rest of the wizard, once done, the All Windows 10 collection will appear.

all windows 10 done.png

Repeat the above process to add all your other desired collections for Windows 10 and WAAS.

Method #2 – Automate it with PowerShell

To automate the creation of a bunch of device collections simply run the CreateDeviceCollectionsWindows10.ps1 Powershell script by starting PowerShell ISE as an Administrator on the ConfigMgr server (CM01).

Create Device Collections with PowerShell.gif

awesome !

Below you can see the script has run

script done.png

And after refreshing the console, all the new collections (with queries added) appear.

collections created with PowerShell.png

Please join me in Part 7 where we'll configure discovery.

• Like 1

It's still in progress, these guides take time to write, please be patient... i'll update here when it's done, thanks !

On 5/30/2019 at 12:53 PM, anyweb said:

Introduction

This multi-part guide will show you how to install the latest baseline version of Configuration Manager from Microsoft. The latest available baseline version is System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1902 as of April the 10th 2019. I blogged how to upgrade to 1902 here. This guide is aimed a new installations of SCCM. Baseline media is used to install new ConfigMgr sites or to upgrade from supported versions, for more information about baseline media please see my blog post here.

This series is broken down into the following parts:-

You can use this multi-part guide to get a hierarchy up and running on Windows Server 2019 using SQL Server 2017. The concept behind this is to guide you through all the steps necessary to get a working Configuration Manager Primary site installed (for lab use) using manual methods or automated using PowerShell. This gives you the power to automate the bits that you want to automate, while allowing you to manually do other tasks when needed. You decide which path to take. PowerShell knowledge is desired and dare I say required if you are in any way serious about Configuration Manager.

I will show you how to do most steps via two methods shown below, it's up to you to choose which method suits you best but I highly recommend automating everything that you can, using PowerShell.

•         Method #1 - Do it manually
  •         Method #2 - Automate it with PowerShell

Downloads

The scripts used in this part of the guide are available for download here. Unzip to C:\Scripts. The scripts are placed in the corresponding folder (Part 1, Part 2 etc) and sorted into which server you should run the script on (DC01 or CM01).

Scripts.zip 34.82 kB · 28 downloads

Step 1. Create device collections

Note: Perform the following on the Configuration Manager server (CM01) as a Local Administrator

In this part you'll create some device collections to prepare your lab for Servicing Windows 10, whether using WAAS (Windows As A Service) or  using the Inplace Upgrade (IPU) Task Sequences built into ConfigMgr. The collections created include some based on the recently released Windows 10 version 1903.

Method #1 – Do it manually

You can create collections using the ConfigMgr console and clicking your way through the wizard, you'll need to add membership queries to populate the collections, and include Include or Exclude rules as appropriate. To create collections manually open the Assets and Compliance node and select Device Collections.

device collections.png

Right click on Device Collections and choose Create Device Collection.

create device collection.png

In the wizard that appears give the collection a name, eg: All Windows 10 and limit it to another existing collection by clicking on Browse and selecting an existing collection to limit to for example All Systems. A limiting collection decides what collection members of this collection must be in first in order to appear within this collection.

all windows 10.png

Next you decide how you want the collection to populate with members, the most common method of populating a collection is to use a query, so click on the Add Rule drop down box and selct Query Rule.

query rule.png

Doing so brings up the Query Rule properties screen, give the query a suitable name such as All Windows 10.

all windows 10 query.png

Next click on Edit Query Statement and then select Show Query Language

Note: In a production environment be very careful about editing query statements on 'live' collections that have Task Sequences, Packages or Applications deployed to them, otherwise you can have unintended results by making a mistake with the query.

In the Query statement properties screen, remove the current query (which basically selects EVERYTHING in your environment) and in its place, paste in a working (known good) query, for example for All Windows 10 use the following query.

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId
 where (SMS_R_System.OperatingSystemNameandVersion = 
'Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 10.0'
 or SMS_R_System.OperatingSystemNameandVersion = 
'Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 10.0 (Tablet Edition)')

Click OK to close the Query Rule Properties screen. Next you can optionally adjust the membership schedule by clicking on Schedule.

schedule.png

Click your way through the rest of the wizard, once done, the All Windows 10 collection will appear.

all windows 10 done.png

Repeat the above process to add all your other desired collections for Windows 10 and WAAS.

Method #2 – Automate it with PowerShell

To automate the creation of a bunch of device collections simply run the CreateDeviceCollectionsWindows10.ps1 Powershell script by starting PowerShell ISE as an Administrator on the ConfigMgr server (CM01).

Create Device Collections with PowerShell.gif

awesome !

Below you can see the script has run

script done.png

And after refreshing the console, all the new collections (with queries added) appear.

collections created with PowerShell.png

Please join me in Part 7 where we'll configure discovery.

Will you be going over the new PXE process without WDS?  I'm having difficulty getting this to work with 1903 Server 2019...

any update on the other 2 guides you are making? very eager! Also had a question if you don't mind helping. 

Question:

Can you make any of this code? I have been on the search since last friday and can't find a solution to this issue. Most recent attempt was to remove and re add Management Point.
<![LOG[Failed to send status 322. Error (87D00215)]LOG]!><time="13:18:59.359+300" date="08-20-2019" component="ccmsetup" context="" type="3" thread="2976" file="state.cpp:252">
<![LOG[Failed to connect to policy namespace. Error 0x8004100e]LOG]!><time="13:18:59.359+300" date="08-20-2019" component="ccmsetup" context="" type="3" thread="2976" file="localpolicy.cpp:378">
<![LOG[Failed to revoke client upgrade local policy. Error 0x8004100e]LOG]!><time="13:18:59.359+300" date="08-20-2019" component="ccmsetup" context="" type="3" thread="2976" file="localpolicy.cpp:405">
<![LOG[Updating MDM_ConfigSetting.ClientDeploymentErrorCode with value 2147500037]LOG]!><time="13:18:59.359+300" date="08-20-2019" component="ccmsetup" context="" type="1" thread="2976" file="CcmUtilLib.cpp:3753">
<![LOG[CcmSetup failed with error code 0x80004005]LOG]!><time="13:18:59.359+300" date="08-20-2019" component="ccmsetup" context="" type="1" thread="2976" file="ccmsetup.cpp:11671">

Edited by TattedMatt

the other guides are on hold at the moment while i'm busy at work, if i get time and motivated i'll continue with them, please be patient :)

as regards your errors... it translates to

Item not found

Source: System Center Configuration Manager
-----

and

Invalid namespace

Source: Windows Management (WMI)
-----

so what are you trying to do exactly, what is the context here ? probably better to raise a separate topic describing the issue and what you are trying to do.