Neil Barker

Cannot capture XP image using WDS

Question

Hi,

I have followed your guide on how to configure WDS on Windows 2008 server to capture an XP image. The server is configured as you specify and I have prepared a Windows XP Pro workstation to capture an image from.

The only problem is when I boot the XP PC and press F12 for a network boot I am only presented with the "Client Installation Wizard" and not the Image Capture Wizard.

What have I missed? I have been working on this for a few days now and it is driving me mad!!!

Many thanks

Neil

4 answers to this question

i havnt tested it with that one, maybe that could be the issue, is it sp1 or sp2 or ?

also, did you do this part >

Part 2a - add Capture file to WDS ?

i havnt tested it with that one, maybe that could be the issue, is it sp1 or sp2 or ?

also, did you do this part >

Part 2a - add Capture file to WDS ?

I did do that part, but I think you have solved the problem for me. I have built this server twice now and the first time I did it I followed a technote from Microsoft that tells you to use a boot.wim from a 2008 server CD. I did this and then tried to configure the WDS server by following the same technote. It is quite complex but I followed it through and then sysprepped a built XP machine to use as the reference PC. When I booted the PC and hit F12 it then launched the capture wizard. I had a few unrelated issues and messed around with the server and managed to break it.

So I rebuilt it after finding the windows-noob guide but used the Vista Business Upgrade CD to get the boot.wim from as it was the only version I had available to me at the time. Since then I have not had the capture wizard when I hit F12 only the install wizard.

Do yo think this was the issue?

If so should you consider posting on the guide you have that you must use a certain version of Windows Vista OR Windows 2008 Server as the source from the boot.wim file? Other than that your guide is far more easy to understand than several pages from the Microsoft site!

Many thanks

Neil