xerxes2985

Windows 7 (Enterprise SP1) to Windows 10 (1903) upgrade fails

Good morning,

Over the past few weeks, I've been attempting to upgrade a Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 (x64) client to Windows 10 1903 CBB (SAC I think its called now) x64. Each time, it gets through the process to about 78%, and then rolls back the installation. I've tried using an OS Upgrade package, I've tried manually using an ISO, even creating a DVD to complete the upgrade, and they all come back with the same errors. I've attached setuperr.log (from the $WINDOWS.~BT folder). What am I missing that is causing this to fail?

setuperr.log

this would be a perfect candidate for running SetupDiag, read about it here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/setupdiag

can you please run it on the failing machine and see what it advises you to do

cheers

niall

18 minutes ago, anyweb said:

this would be a perfect candidate for running SetupDiag, read about it here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/setupdiag

can you please run it on the failing machine and see what it advises you to do

cheers

niall

Unfortunately, the program fails to run successfully on Windows 7. On the MS page, it specifies the The destination OS must be Windows 10.

ah bummer, i missed that, ok back to the drawing board.

What you could try is upgrade to a 'lesser' version that would work better with Windows 7, for example, try upgrading to Windows 10 1803 first, and if it suceeds then upgrade to 1903.

can you give that a go ?

we've seen Windows 7 upgrades to Windows 10 fail when say trying 1809 or later, but with 1803 it seems to be better, so give it a go...