YPCC

PXE Request Forwarding Possible

Hi All,

I have a question if anyone can help. I have 2 different offices (Office1 and Office2). Both have a local DP and both are PXE enabled.

Our current DHCP config is setup as:

Office1 - 192.168.10.x

There a Microsoft DHCP server (local DP) that issues 192.168.10.x addresses to all clients in Office1, If you perform a PXE boot form within this office, it will download the boot image from the local DP in this office. All good here

Office2 - 192.168.20.x

A IP helper on the router is forwarding all requests to the DHCP server located in Office1 192.168.10.x. The scope for this office is 192.168.20.x. Therefore all clients within this office have IP addresses starting 192.168.20.... Again so far so good. 

My issue is that when i perform a PXE boot from with Office2, it is downloading the boot image from Office1 and hence awfully slow. I understand that the IP Helper is directing all requests to the DHCP server in Office1, but what i want is to ensure that once the 'DHCP issued' IP address is received by the client in Office2, then that client should be downloading the boot image from the local DP in Office2, not downloading it from the DP in Office1.

Once the task sequence starts, all the content needed for imaging (wim, apps etc) is downloaded from Office2 correctly, its just that initial download of the boot image that comes from the wrong office. Is there anyway i can configure PXE or DHCP to say if a client from the 192.168.20.x subnet sends a PXE request, then forward this to the local DP located in Office2?

I am aware of DHCP option 66/67 but avoiding this route as this restricts us as its either UEFI or Legacy.

Thank you all.

try uninstalling the Management Point role, then reinstall it, then retest PXE on the dp. You've a lot of management point errors in that log

RequestMPKeyInformation: Send() failed.

image.png

On 7/31/2019 at 9:45 AM, anyweb said:

how are you boundaries setup ? did you configure two separate boundaries for these 2 offices ?

Sure are, 2 separate boundaries based on IP add ranges - no overlap. Am I right in saying that this is something handled by WDS? I mean, DHCP is doing what its supposed to which is issuing a IP address. It just so happens that the issuing DHCP server is also a PXE enabled DP (that should be serving its own office only)