Zero

Confusion over PSP and WDS

Hi All,

I'm currently running SCCM 2007 sp1 R2 with successful deployments of windows 7 from the desktop provided they already have an o/s installed.

i am interested in configuring the server as a PXE answer point to replace our existing WDS Server so i am able to do bare metal deployments.

i have followed various instructions on how to install this..

1) install wds onto the server. do not configure it, simply install the service in 2008 server.

2) add the PSP roll to the WDS server (which is the same server as the sccm server)

a) ticked the respond to unknown computers option

3) i've created a task sequence and assigned it to the unknown computer group, and ensured that i ticked the "make available to pxe boots" option

4) when booting a pc into pxe mode, it returns the error of "no boot image found"

basically, it appears that sccm 2007 isnt injecting a boot image for the wds server to use (which on a traditional wds server installation, is done post installation of the service.).

am i missing a step? should i be adding the standard x86 bootimage from sccm via the wds console to get around this?

i just dont seem to be able to find a solid answer for this on the internet, at all. all the guides skim over the wds configuration part.

Did you check,if you have proper boot images under the boot images node ? if so ,make sure you updated onto the DP's also.

ok, are you talking about the boot images node in sccm or wds?

in wds, its empty.

in sccm, the two boot images which are used for non-bare metal deployments are there, yes.

when you say add the boot image to my distribution point, do you mean the existing ones that i have been using for agent-based o/s installs?this is where im getting confused. my environment is already deploying operating systems to machines with the cfgmgr agent installed and running, there are boot images that already exist for that task sequence to use.

when it comes to baremetal installations for unknown machines, it returns an error on pxe booted machines saying no boot image found.

what is the procedure i need to follow to install a boot image, where do i define or create this boot image?

Ok i got it working further.

i reinstalled wds, didnt goto the UI, went to the config manager console, installed the psp role, and then added a new distrubution store for the x86 boot image reminstall$ or something to those lines.

i now get past that error, and im now stuck on the pxe client waiting for the server to respond. so it picks up a dhcp address, but is waiting there, ie;

"contacting server 192.168.x.x ..... ....... ......"

ok a restart of the server seemed to make it work OK.

also, the reason why it was sitting on "contacting server" was actually due to me not loading the correct boot image. for some reason, it wanted a x64 boot image.

cant complain, it seems to be working now.

Hello,

i got a question about WDS and PSP.

My WDS (2008R2) is not on the same server as my SCCM2007.

i added the PXE Service Point role in my SCCM2007, and if i Update Distribution point in a package, i only see one ( standard) distribution point, i don't see the PXE distribution point.

I guess it's because my WDS is running on another server..

so, how can i fix that ?

Regards,