Saif

AD 2000 Migration to AD 2008

Yes dcpromo is the only thing you need to run to demote the DC.

Before doing this though, make sure that all operations master are moved and that it is not the last global catalog server.

What shares do you mean? Do you have fileshares on your DC2?

Exactly, it is also acting acting as a file server. How would i successfully copy all the shares off of it (i know i can use explorer) and retain file/ntfs permissions?

I setup the whole scenario in my test lab. This is what i did and please correct me if did something wrong:

1) Built another 2008 server. Added it to the domain as a normal member server.

2)Used robocopy on the new member server to copy all the files off of DC2 (it copied all the files, but i dont see any permissions being retained, also it placed the files all over the place and not in a specific directory, please advise).

3) I then copied all the FSMO roles off of DC2 to DC1. Ran dcpromo, but in the process received DNS errors. Although it demoted successfully, i had lots of DNS erros.

4) Shut down DC2. When i checked DC1, i still see entries in DNS for DC2, is that OK?

5) renamed new member server to DC2 and ran dcpromo

by then it was 1:00 am and i was tired so i went home. I have not checked the results yet, but this is exactly what i am suppose to do to replace a Domain controller correct? Please advise..