Harvey

OSD - Task Sequence modifications ?

Question

Hello,

First, I want to note that we have 100% working OSD - Task Sequence.

With that said, I've duplicated that one and added an extra command line for the Computer Naming Script and disabled programs to install. After updating the DPs and running the CD again, the TS failed to run at the Computer Naming section. When I came in the next morning and ran it again for the hell of it after trying to figure out why it didn't work. The logs weren't helpful. Anyway, the script was working.

Now that my script was working I've enabled programs that I disabled earlier and now my TS would fail at the programs that I've enabled. I disabled Office earlier and now enabled and it fails there.

My question is are TS changes on the fly or is there a wait time for it? I was under the assumption it was on the fly but it doesn't seem like it or could it just be a coincidence?

Thanks,

Harvey

2 answers to this question

when you make a change however small to a Task Sequence then there can be a time delay between the client picking it up, sometimes its fast as in immediate but sometimes it can take a while to recognise the change...

what I sometimes do when testing 'steps' in a task sequence is to change a letter or letters in the task sequence advertisement so that it shows up in RAP as for example 'xp to 7 with hardlinking TEST#2'

then I press F5 in the RAP console on the client, when i see that the change has taken place by visually seeing the new ts in the rap, i then let it go through,

if you don't understand my explanation i will try and do a small video showing same

when you make a change however small to a Task Sequence then there can be a time delay between the client picking it up, sometimes its fast as in immediate but sometimes it can take a while to recognise the change...

what I sometimes do when testing 'steps' in a task sequence is to change a letter or letters in the task sequence advertisement so that it shows up in RAP as for example 'xp to 7 with hardlinking TEST#2'

then I press F5 in the RAP console on the client, when i see that the change has taken place by visually seeing the new ts in the rap, i then let it go through,

if you don't understand my explanation i will try and do a small video showing same

Gotcha, you mean when you select the TS that's advertised menu. Is there any way to speed up the sync'ing? I thought these changes would be instant since I am booting off the CD every time I make a change on the actual server not from my desk console.

This is a production server already but we haven't migrated anyone to it so it's not really get much use yet until we get the MDT operating 100%