brooklynotss

SCCM-OSD PXE WDS service fails to start

Question

I've had SCCM 2007 R2 up and running for a while, I upgraded to SP2 2 weeks ago or so. I suspect that the upgrade to SP2 my have killed my PXE SP... I just hadn't PXE booted in a while before or after the upgrade but now I need to and I'm going to need to a lot soon. PXE SP is on another server, all site servers are 2008 R2. I got a new 64-bit desktop I wanted to image so I tried adding a 64bit winpe boot image and all of a sudden I'm having all kinds of issues. Mainly, the WDS service will not start. When it tries I get this in the event log:

"Faulting application name: svchost.exe_WDSServer, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc3c1

Faulting module name: wimgapi.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc365

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000032a8e

Faulting process id: 0xdfc

Faulting application start time: 0x01cacaf478397340

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Windows Imaging\wimgapi.dll

Report Id: b8cddcca-36e7-11df-b620-005056bb3209"

any ideas?

10 answers to this question

I have the same issue, but i can temporarily resolve it:

1.Remove the SMS PXE role. Look at the PXESetup.log file to verify that the uninstall is complete and successful.

2.Uninstall the WDS server.

3.Reboot the machine.

4.Delete the folder \RemoteInstall

5.Re-install the WDS server.

6.Add the SMS PXE role. Look at the PXESetup.log file to verify that the installation is complete and successfuly.

7.Add the boot images to the SMS PXE DP share. Look at the distmgr.log file to verify that the replication of the boot image to the DP is complete and successful.

8.Try booting a PXE client.

But all files in the folder ...\RemoteInstall\SMSBoot are deleted again, if I pick the 64bit winpe boot image in the task sequence and try to boot a PXE client.

It drives me crazy...

How I can build up an new 64bit winpe boot image?

if both of you search for all copies of wimgapi.dll on your systems and report back the versions and file locations of that file here please

if both of you search for all copies of wimgapi.dll on your systems and report back the versions and file locations of that file here please

wimgapi.dll location and version

C:\Program Files\Windows Imaging\wimgapi.dll 6.1.7600.16385

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Imaging\wimgapi.dll 6.0.6001.18000

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\wimgapi.dll 6.1.7600.16385

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\ia64\wimgapi.dll 6.1.7600.16385

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\wimgapi.dll 6.1.7600.16385

i have a feeling that C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Imaging\wimgapi.dll 6.0.6001.18000 might be causing the failure, see if you can replace it with the other version or just delete it and try again

Ok I renamed C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Imaging\wimgapi.dll to wimgapi.dll.old and then I copied Wimgapi.dll (6.1.7600.16385) from C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86 to C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Imaging. Let's see what will happen.

I had to install the PXE Service Point and WDS.

After that the WDS service started successfully.

But I added Broadcom NIC driver to the x64 boot image and updated the DP, the WDS crashed again:

Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.2.3790.3959, faulting module wimgapi.dll, version 6.1.7600.16385, fault address 0x0000000000032a8e.

Now, I have to install the PXE Service Point and WDS again.

I had the same problem after adding a NIC driver to my boot image.

The sollution for me was to re-update the PXE distribution point. Then the WDS service starts. No need to re-install WDS and PXE service point.

• Like 1

Had the same problem, same fix.

After updating my boot image with a new NIC driver, I had the problems described above. Restarting the SCCM/WDS server didn't fix the issue, but updating the distribution points a total of two times with the new NIC driver fixed my problem. WDS was able to start right away.