GauiC

new program in package not available

Question

Hi,

I am trying to deploy software that needs a few extra steps, so I am using custom task sequence to run these steps.

I created a software deployment package, program and deployed it to deployment point.

I checked in the program "Allow this program to be installed from the Install Software task sequence without being advertised"

Then I started to create the task sequence, but remembered that I needed to add another program to the software distribution package, so I added new program to the already created software package, updated the distribution point, and then was going to add the new program to the task sequence, but only the old program was available.

My questions are:

1. When adding new programs to already created software packages, do I then need to update the distribution point?

2. What could cause my newly created program not to appear in the install software task sequence?

Thanks,

GauiC

2 answers to this question

Nevermind

The problem was that the program that I created was set only to run when user is logged on and with user rights.

When I changed it to run with administrative rights and whether or not a user is logged on, then It was available in the task sequence.

So, I can answer myself :)

1. No

2. I am not sure but I read: "a Task Sequence can only be deployed to computers and not to users" here: http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1516-applications-installation-precedence/

As luck would have it, I have an application that was being installed via a startup script in GPO. This script reset the registry to allow a logon of the local admin and then used a nested runas to a different account to perform an install. This second account was basically an AD based admin account. So.... I have the basics of the script figured out and can install this application with a published app in SCCM. This only works when someone is logged on as the SCCM account is being used in place of the two admin accounts mentioned previously. I need to add this to a TS so that new builds will have this app also. How can I install this during a build capture? In essence, I need to logon to the device during the build and then install, logoff then capture.

Jimm