suspected

Migrate the State of an User

Question

Hi guys i see here many of USMT Tutorials, but i dont need to migrate my OS to a higher version.

i configured now a Windows7 system for business uses, i need to use this BUILD as a master for other computers like a "basic installation with all drivers software etc which is alerady installed" so my questions is

how can i migrate this Windows 7 OS state of that computer, that i can use the .wim (with all installed things) for other computer that every PC has this state of OS ? can i just create a new task sequence with all "4" USMT options in it ? and capture the system to get the systems wim for install ?

i made a USMT package of c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\USMT\X86 thats rigt aight ?

when i migrate the status of the system how i can i store the wim on the server ? or do i missapprehend something ? i tried it know with the first 2 steps request user state and capture user state, but he ran in an error... do i need the other 2 steps when i just want to store the user state (WIM) somewhere ? i want to use that as a basis and not directly migrate-..

Ok,

This is something you can do with WSIM. :D

If you have installed the WAIK tools, there you can find WSIM.

Open that and connect the .wim file to it.

If you are finished, you can save it as an XML file and use it as an unattended file in the OS deployment.

Create a package of that XML file with no program.

There are some posts of it on this forum.

For the registerys you can export them from the computer and add them into SCCM the same way as the XML file.

For each registry key you have to create a command line, also info on this forum.

I hoop this helps you. :)

For the UAC just add a command line in your task sequence and start the line with cmd.exe /c

Also to find on this forum :D

Cheers

I agree with Kinom here. You should use an unattend.xml when you are deploying your machine.

I couldn't find something on the forum here so quick, but you could take a look here: http://scug.be/blogs/sccm/archive/2010/02/02/sccm-windows-7-deployments-amp-unattended-xml.aspx

hey guys thanks for the replies... looks a bit hard for that :) for sure i can try it to do it like so, but is there really no chance to do that easier with USMT just to copy the state of the system and use them for others :S ?

Open that and connect the .wim file to it. hmm that thing is, i dont have a wim file of the master machine, or is there on the system lokal the actualized wim file with all settings and stuff i've configured ?

my target is to get a WIM file which is already with all that settings so i could distribute this wim to all other systems not ?

thanks guys

hey guys thanks for the replies... looks a bit hard for that :) for sure i can try it to do it like so, but is there really no chance to do that easier with USMT just to copy the state of the system and use them for others :S ?

Open that and connect the .wim file to it. hmm that thing is, i dont have a wim file of the master machine, or is there on the system lokal the actualized wim file with all settings and stuff i've configured ?

my target is to get a WIM file which is already with all that settings so i could distribute this wim to all other systems not ?

thanks guys

The .WIM file is on the OS DVD.

Copy the DVD to a network share.

The .WIM file is on the OS DVD.

Copy the DVD to a network share.

What you want to do is not possible with USMT.

That is only for 1 user, like I explained before :)

Now create an XML file using WSIM and deploy your captured wim wit that XML file.

so i captured now my existing system (build), and use that captured wim.

but how can i make a xml with WSIM ?? and add my wim to that xml ?

ike these steps here 1to1 ? http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1660-customising-windows-7-deployments-part-1/

or is this also possible ?

add th captured WIM to the TS with the xml as (sysprep step) ?

so i captured now my existing system (build), and use that captured wim.

but how can i make a xml with WSIM ?? and add my wim to that xml ?

ike these steps here 1to1 ? http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1660-customising-windows-7-deployments-part-1/

or is this also possible ?

add th captured WIM to the TS with the xml as (sysprep step) ?

Hi there

Capture you wim file and add it to your TS.

Create an XML file with WSIM, in WSIM connect de WIM file from you DVD that you add to a network share.

Save the XML file on a network share and create a package (no program).

In TS there is a step install OS there you can add that XML file.

All the steps are somewhere on this forum :)

Cheers