white43210

OSD Error on PXE deployment of XP sp3

Question

I'm fairly new to SCCM and thus was very happy to find this site. The step by step HOW TO guidance has been wonderful.

I'm getting this error message when i try to boot to PXE boot to a Build & Capture task sequence. Every other reference I see to this error is about deploying Windows 7. However I am trying to build and capture a Windows XP sp3 machine.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer

2. Choose your language settings and then click "Next."

3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I get the option to hit Enter=Continue or ESC=Exit at the bottom of the screen. When I hit Enter it shows me the OS Chooser screen with Microsoft Windows PE (x86) displayed as an option. However, if I choose this option it takes me back to the original error message.

My environment is Windows 2008 Server w/ SCCM 2007 sp2 installed. WDS resides on a seperate 2008r2 server.

My LAN is broken up into many VLANs so I manually inserted options 66 =<FQDN of WDS server> and 67 = <\SMSBoot\X86\wdsnbp.com> on a separate 2003 DHCP server.

5 answers to this question

hi and welcome, did you import the computer into SCCM first ? if not please try that, have you installed R2 in SCCM ? if so are you going to enable the Unknown Computers support ability ?

hi and welcome, did you import the computer into SCCM first ? if not please try that, have you installed R2 in SCCM ? if so are you going to enable the Unknown Computers support ability ?

Thanks Anyweb for your quick response.

Yes I followed your instructions from your step by step on deploying XP.

1)Right clicking on Computer Association - Import Computer Information -

2)Choose Single Computer -

3)Typed in a Computer Name - And typed in the MAC address -

4)Pointed the computer at my Build & Capture collection -

5)When I refresh the collection the computer shows up in the collection -

I'm not getting far enough thru the process to see anything in the SMSTS.log on the client PC. Is there other LOG files that you would recommend?

I ran a test deploy on the PC once before, and it installed XP. I then changed my task sequence to employ a more advanced task sequence including drivers and software, but it only ran to the point of quick formatting the drive. I have since deleted everything and gone back to just a basic advertisement just to start from the top and troubleshoot which task was bombing out - but now I'm stuck at this annoying error. I even removed my network driver from the boot.wim thinking it was corrupting the boot image.

Could there be residual information in SCCM that I need to flush from a previous "Import Computer Information"? I simply deleted the computer from the original Build & Capture collection.

Thanks Anyweb for your quick response.

Yes I followed your instructions from your step by step on deploying XP.

1)Right clicking on Computer Association - Import Computer Information -

2)Choose Single Computer -

3)Typed in a Computer Name - And typed in the MAC address -

4)Pointed the computer at my Build & Capture collection -

5)When I refresh the collection the computer shows up in the collection -

I'm not getting far enough thru the process to see anything in the SMSTS.log on the client PC. Is there other LOG files that you would recommend?

I ran a test deploy on the PC once before, and it installed XP. I then changed my task sequence to employ a more advanced task sequence including drivers and software, but it only ran to the point of quick formatting the drive. I have since deleted everything and gone back to just a basic advertisement just to start from the top and troubleshoot which task was bombing out - but now I'm stuck at this annoying error. I even removed my network driver from the boot.wim thinking it was corrupting the boot image.

Could there be residual information in SCCM that I need to flush from a previous "Import Computer Information"? I simply deleted the computer from the original Build & Capture collection.

I'm guessing that perhaps I don't have R2 installed because I don't have the check box in the General tab of my PXE Service Point Site System Properties. Is this a requirement?

R2 is not a requirement it just makes your job easier (unknown computer support amongst other things)

have you tried restarting the WDS service ?

and.. did you distribute both X86 and X64 boot images to your distribution points ?

R2 is not a requirement it just makes your job easier (unknown computer support amongst other things)

have you tried restarting the WDS service ?

and.. did you distribute both X86 and X64 boot images to your distribution points ?

I noted that in a previous post that R2 cannot be installed on Volume Licensing Product Version. Is that still true?