xstnc

Installing Java with SCCM

Question

Hi!

I've worked on a TS for some time now, and it's finally starting to look good.

Deployment is coming up soon, and I'm still having minor issues with getting Java to work.

I've tried with multiple flags, and most of the times it only stops during the install.

With the flags:

jre-6u19-windows-i586-s.exe /s IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 REBOOT=Suppress

it completes the TS, but the java is no where to be found.

I get prompted for a fresh install when trying to access a site that needs java installed.

Does anyone install java within a TS?

If so, what flags do you use?

10 answers to this question

Are you installing it on a 64-bit system? If so, I am having a similar problem.

If not, this is the command that works for me on 32-bit systems: "jre-6u19-windows-i586-s.exe" /s AgreeToLicense=YES IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 REBOOT=SUPRESS JAVAUPDATE=0

"jre-6u19-windows-i586-s.exe" /s AgreeToLicense=YES IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 REBOOT=SUPRESS JAVAUPDATE=0

That command line works for me on my 64-bit Windows 7 machines if I run it by hand, but if it is in the TS or if I make it available for the user to install through "Run Advertised Programs" I have the same problem. When I look at the ConfigMgr Status Message for the advertisement I get the following error:

The program for advertisement "IHR200AB" failed ("IHR0008C" - "Java 6 Update 19 x86"). A failure exit code of 1619 was returned. User context: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Possible cause: Systems Management Server (SMS) determines status for each program it executes. If SMS cannot find or correlate any installation status Management Information Format (MIF) files for the program, it uses the program's exit code to determine status. An exit code of 1619 is considered a failure.

This is all that I have found out about that exit code so far. I tried adjusting permissions but I still haven't solved the problem. If this is in fact the same problem that you are having, hopefully this info can help.

I have the same exact symptoms that Rich describes. Deploying x86 Java to x64 Win 7 machines with SCCM. It fails with the 1619 error. The same package deploys just fine to Win 7 x86 machines and Win XP SP3 x86 machines, so there would not seem to be any problems with permissions for the package.

jre-6u20-windows-i586-s.exe /s AgreeToLicense=YES IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 REBOOT=SUPRESS JAVAUPDATE=0

I found other discussions that indicate that this problem can be resolved by extracting the MSI files from the executable wrapper and running them directly (http://www.myitforum.com/forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=215451&mpage=1). I did that, running the x86 MSI with this setting from SCCM (msiexec /i jre1.6.0_20.msi /quiet /norestart ADDLOCAL=ALL IEXPLORER=1 NETSCAPE=1 MOZILLA=1 REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0). It worked great. x86 Java installed just fine without errors on my x64 Win 7 machines where it was failing when I tried to install from the exe. It's a pain to add the extra step, but at least it worked for me.

Extracting the MSI worked for me as well. Then I just used msiexec /i jre1.6.0_20.msi /qn and it worked great.

Follow these steps to extract the .msi file from the Sun JRE installer for deployment through SCCM:

1. Download and launch the Sun JRE Windows Offline Installation executable (.exe) file.

2. Navigate to LocalAppData folder (the user's Application Data folder). The location of the LocalAppData folder differs for each Windows platform.

Windows Vista/Seven

C:\Users\</user>\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_20\jre1.6.0_20.msi

Windows XP

C:\Documents and Settings\</user>\Local Settings\ApplicationData\Sun\Java\ jre1.6.0_20\jre1.6.0_20.msi</user>

3. From there, you can use SCCM to distribute the Java Runtime Environment msi file to as many client Windows platforms as you want.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that this is on Windows 7 x64 Enterprise.

Sometimes I wish we went for the 32-bit instead, as it seems it has less problems..

Hello

Have your tried the commands that are one Appdeploy.com? Worked for me on windows 7 32bit and XP 32 bit.

On my 64 bit system I used the msi package, haven't tried the .exe