matty3021

SCCM Client not discovering site

Question

Hi,

I have SCCM 2007 SP2 installed on Server 2008 R1 with SQL 2008 standard. I have deployed the client using client push to a Windows 7 machine, this works fine, but the machine cannot discover the site. I have done the following so far :_

1. Extended AD Schema

2. Created the System Management container and given the server full control.

3. The server has populated the container

The client log (locationservices)

LSGetSiteVersionFromAD : Failed to retrieve version for the site 'MPC' (0x80004005)

Attempting to retrieve SLPs from AD

Failed to resolve 'SMS_SLP' to IP address from WINS

LSGetSiteVersionFromSLP : Unable to get the list of SLPs

LSVerifySiteVersion: Failed to get Site Version from AD and SLP

The annoying thing is I havent got the role Server Locator Point installed as the Management point is published in AD. Any help would be much appreciated as this is now the last stumbling block (hopefully)

I had SCCM 2007 working just fine. I added the SCCM 2007 dashboard Solution Accelerator from MS, which required installation of Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0 SP2. I installed it on my Central Site Server and being naive about Sharepoint I didn't realize it installs on port 80, which caused my management point site running on port 80 to stop. I had to extend the sharepoint site to a new site using a different port and delete the sharepoint site using port 80. After that I was able to restart the management point site. During the time the management point site was down, the client could be deployed but they would exhibit the same symptoms discussed in this thread...unable to get the SCCM site version. Once the site came back up, everything worked as expected on the client.

Moral of the story is, make sure your management point site is working. If your client can't reach it, it can't determine the version. Use the following URL to connect to your primary site server. It should list each management point's name, FQDN, version, and capabilities schema version:

http://<site server name>/sms_mp/.sms_aut?mplist

Sample Ouput:

<
MPList
>

<
MP Name
="<Site Server 1>
"
FQDN
="<Site Server 1>.yourdomain.xxx
">