slice16

Capture failing on sysprep

Question

Morning All,

I have followed your guide with the build and capture of a windows 7 machine. The build goes ok, any software is installed and then fails with a 0x00000001 error message when trying to run sysprep.

Your deployment guide states:

Note: if sysprep fails for you at this point with SMSTS.log file reporting verifycapturerequirements fail 8004001 then simply recreate the ConfigMgr client package from definition, and push it out to a DP then use that client package in your TS

I get the above error and have re-created my ConfigMgr client a few times and am still getting the same fault. Am I missing something?

Kind Regards,

Paul

are you trying to manually sysprep this machine ? it looks like it can't find sysprep.exe, so how did you create this task sequence ?

here's your failure from the log

<![LOG[Sysprep.exe is not present on this machine.]LOG]!><time="11:29:59.056+-60" date="04-22-2010" component="PrepareOS" context="" type="3" thread="2408" file="deployutil.cpp:407">

<![LOG[VerifyDeployTools(), HRESULT=80040001 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\osdcore\deployutil.cpp,598)]LOG]!><time="11:29:59.072+-60" date="04-22-2010" component="PrepareOS" context="" type="0" thread="2408" file="deployutil.cpp:598">

<![LOG[DeployUtil::VerifyCaptureRequirements(m_bDebug), HRESULT=80040001 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\prepareos\prepareos.cpp,1279)]LOG]!><time="11:29:59.072+-60" date="04-22-2010" component="PrepareOS" context="" type="0" thread="2408" file="prepareos.cpp:1279">

<![LOG[Machine does not meet OSD capture requirements. Capture can not continue.]LOG]!><time="11:29:59.072+-60" date="04-22-2010" component="PrepareOS" context="" type="3" thread="2408" file="prepareos.cpp:1279">

<![LOG[unable to sysprep the machine, hr=80040001]LOG]!><time="11:29:59.072+-60" date="04-22-2010" component="PrepareOS" context="" type="3" thread="2408" file="prepareos.cpp:1340">

<![LOG[pCmd->Sysprep(bActivate, bMsd), HRESULT=80040001 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\prepareos\main.cpp,270)]LOG]!><time="11:29:59.072+-60" date="04-22-2010" component="PrepareOS" context="" type="0" thread="2408" file="main.cpp:270">

<![LOG[sysprep'ing the machine failed, hr=80040001]LOG]!><time="11:29:59.072+-60" date="04-22-2010" component="PrepareOS" context="" type="3" thread="2408" file="main.cpp:270">

<![LOG[De-Initialization successful]LOG]!><time="11:29:59.072+-60" date="04-22-2010" component="PrepareOS" context="" type="0" thread="2408" file="prepareos.cpp:1103">

<![LOG[Exiting with error code 1]LOG]!><time="11:29:59.072+-60" date="04-22-2010" component="PrepareOS" context="" type="1" thread="2408" file="main.cpp:293">

I am now out of ideas. At first, I thought it was down to not running the MDT intergration wizard.

I have now tried re-creating install images, task sequences, collections and trying on different machines. The task sequence falls down at this same stage every time.

I didnt think sysprep came into play on a windows 7 image, could it be my install media at fault?

Thanks.

Paul

I am having this same issue. Sysprep is not configured in the Task Sequence (greyed out). But in the deployment windows it shows doing a sysprep. Can it do this without a sysprep package determined in the TS?

Can't upload the SMSTS.log - Seems to be gone, but I did search for sysprep and nothing was found.

Thanks!!

In your Build and Capture task sequence, do you have it joining a WORKGROUP?

And you don't have to install the sysprep tools on a Windows 7 capture, like you do with XP, because they're built in. So you might try just blowing that open away, or at least making sure it's marked as disabled under the Options tab.

Also, if you want a different view on the process to capture and deploy Windows 7, you can look here: http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/rbennett806/pages/using-sccm-to-capture-and-deploy-windows-7.aspx

In your Build and Capture task sequence, do you have it joining a WORKGROUP?

And you don't have to install the sysprep tools on a Windows 7 capture, like you do with XP, because they're built in. So you might try just blowing that open away, or at least making sure it's marked as disabled under the Options tab.

Also, if you want a different view on the process to capture and deploy Windows 7, you can look here: http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/rbennett806/pages/using-sccm-to-capture-and-deploy-windows-7.aspx

Thanks Lucid. I tried the Build and Capture on another model of laptop and it made it through. I'm doing well now, with another issue that I think I'll open another thread for or search for a solution. It has to do with broken guids after I reimage computers. I saw somewhere a query that will change the guid of clients as they are added to collections, have you heard of this?

Thanks,

Dan