We currently have a live SCCM ver 1802 running serving our users,  we were looking to add several DP's and then one thing lead to another and the decision was made to just create a whole new SCCM instance with several DP's located across our college campus.  We haven't turned on any type of discovery yet as we are still in the process of moving the many different software titles over to the new environment.  We are wanting to do things a little different as we have several techs that are dedicated to the different college buildings around campus and we want to be able to isolate specific licensed software to just their college.  I know we can do this via security settings and to do that we need to turn on user and group discovery for our AD.  My question is if we go ahead and turn on that alone to bring in our ad users that shouldn't in no way start forcing our workstations to the new environment because we aren't quite ready for that to happen yet correct?

it all depends on what you mean 'forcing systems over to the new environment' means, for example do you have client push enabled and boundaries defined ?

i'd suggest you take a look at this guide I wrote recently to get a good understanding of the different discovery methods and enabling them.