Vicmon

OSD Error - different SYSTEMROOT directory

Question

SCCM 2007 Server: OS Server 2008, SCCM R2 SP2

I am trying to use OSD and have hit a brick wall. Whether through PXE or USB stick, i receive the same error when trying to push out a Win 7 OS. I have MDT 2010, and have reinstalled that and WDS multiple times. PXE has been removed and put back in the same number of times. The error comes up after the unknown computer connects to the server and pulls the wim file. It gets to the screen where you see the shifting bar (looks like KITT or the bad dudes from Battlestar Galactica). After that I receive the following:

----------------

Error

Windows PE cannot start because the actual SYSTEMROOT directory (X:\WINDOWS) is different from the configured one (X:\$windows.~bt\Windows). This can be configured from dism.exe with the /set-targetpath command. Please consult the documentation for more details.

Press the OK button or close this message to reboot.

----------------

I have to force a shutdown of the computer, as there is nor response from mouse or keyboard to click the OK button. I have checked the client computer and am unable to find the Smsts.log. I haven't found anything on the server as well. Since it doesn't even load the screen to login password and intitiate image push, i see no errors. This message happens for capture as well as push. The account is domain admin and all rights are properlya ssinged (that I know of).

Any help is truly appreciated as I am going nuts!!!!!

4 answers to this question

how odd, you are the second person in less than a week with the exact same problem, what version of windows 7 is this and tell me more about what you've done to get it to this stage, please include your SMSTS.log file

how odd, you are the second person in less than a week with the exact same problem, what version of windows 7 is this and tell me more about what you've done to get it to this stage, please include your SMSTS.log file

Using OEM boot image for Windows 7 Enterprise x86. OS Image Package taken from same iso that was pulled to the server. Installed new boot image from iso image downloaded from MS. Created new TS for B&C and use the boot.wim and folder from known working Win7 iso. Left out cd key, left local admin disabled, and took default on all other screens. Initiate Task Sequence Media Wizard and select stand-alone media. USB flash drive choice of media, as well as setting up advertisement for PXE boot test.

One thing to note is that the Advertisment status for the Win7 B&C never shows any recieved, failures, or anything beyond the initial setup of the advertisment.

-------------

Severity Type Site code Date / Time System Component Message ID Description

Information Milestone QUT 4/26/2010 8:55:20 AM SCCM-Server SMS_OFFER_MANAGER 3900 SMS Offer Manager successfully processed new advertisement B&C Win7.

Information Audit QUT 4/26/2010 8:55:01 AM TestSCCM Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.dll 30006 User "domain\me" created an advertisement named "B&C Win7" (QUT20008) advertising program "*".

-------------

SMSTS.log file not on client computer, as it seems to never get to intial SCCM screen. I searched client for sms* and came up empty. I read the troubleshooting article on using F8 for testing, but no success in getting that elusive SMSTS.log file.

Thank you for your response.

Error

Windows PE cannot start because the actual SYSTEMROOT directory (X:\WINDOWS) is different from the configured one (X:\$windows.~bt\Windows). This can be configured from dism.exe with the /set-targetpath command. Please consult the documentation for more details.

Press the OK button or close this message to reboot.

I was getting this same error when trying to use any of the 64bit .wim files. I then followed the steps outlined here and used the 64bit winpe.wim file from the latest Windows AIK. As of now I am able to run a Build & Capture of Win7 64bit.

Reset Boot Image for x86 and it worked. Not sure why the win7 boot image stopped working, but deleting it and just using the default boot image worked for me. Hope this helps someone. :rolleyes:

Using OEM boot image for Windows 7 Enterprise x86. OS Image Package taken from same iso that was pulled to the server. Installed new boot image from iso image downloaded from MS. Created new TS for B&C and use the boot.wim and folder from known working Win7 iso. Left out cd key, left local admin disabled, and took default on all other screens. Initiate Task Sequence Media Wizard and select stand-alone media. USB flash drive choice of media, as well as setting up advertisement for PXE boot test.

One thing to note is that the Advertisment status for the Win7 B&C never shows any recieved, failures, or anything beyond the initial setup of the advertisment.

-------------

Severity Type Site code Date / Time System Component Message ID Description

Information Milestone QUT 4/26/2010 8:55:20 AM SCCM-Server SMS_OFFER_MANAGER 3900 SMS Offer Manager successfully processed new advertisement B&C Win7.

Information Audit QUT 4/26/2010 8:55:01 AM TestSCCM Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.dll 30006 User "domain\me" created an advertisement named "B&C Win7" (QUT20008) advertising program "*".

-------------

SMSTS.log file not on client computer, as it seems to never get to intial SCCM screen. I searched client for sms* and came up empty. I read the troubleshooting article on using F8 for testing, but no success in getting that elusive SMSTS.log file.

Thank you for your response.