BIGpete

HOWTO: Install itunes using SCCM

Question

I am a network administrator for a school with 700+ machines and with apple releasing updates every 2 weeks to fix bugs and security holes in itunes & quicktime problems, I for one have had problems keeping on top of the updates and have spent a great deal of time getting updates out there, as well as slipstreaming my install process for image building.

The 2 ways I have found to get the updates out there are:

* 3rd Party WSUS plugins (eg http://eminentware.com/patch-management-solutions.html), however at over $5000 to get it licenced with ongoing yearly costs it was something that could not be justified

* script the installs. Pain to setup, but only real option.

For my setup I have gone down the scripted installs way. Unfortunately the default from itunes setup are annoying so I have made some customizations. This guide is for itunes 9.1.1 (April 2010)

Goals for customization:

* Remove Bonjour (not required on corporate network for sharing libraries or AppleTV)

* Remove Apple software updates (meh)

* Disable Quicktime System Tray

* Disable the file types being taken over from quicktime/itunes

I have based the customizations on my testing and from information from http://www.bdts.com.au/tips/48-msi-packaging/74-deploy-quicktime-765.html & http://jimcofer.com/personal/?p=1717

Tools Required for this modification:

* Orca (MSI editor) Available from http://www.technipages.com/download-orca-msi-editor.html

Step 1

Run itunessetup*.exe so that MSI's are extracted. This will be in a folder in %temp%\. Copy this to a new location

Step 2

Delete Setupadmin.exe, AppleSoftwareUpdate.msi & Bonjour.msi from new source as you will not be needing these.

Step 3

Edit itunes.msi Using orca. Now this is where it gets a little tricky.

- From view select summary information. Within this window in languages remove all but 1033. Press OK

- From the "Properties" table adjust the properties REGSRCH_DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS to 0, REGSRCH_MEDIA_DEFAULTS to 0, SCHEDULE_ASUW to 0. Create a new row REENABLEAUTORUN and set this to 0 (if you want to ensure autorun is not reenabled)

- From "LaunchCondition" table drop the "NOT BNEWERPRODUCTISINSTALLED" entry. See one of the above URLS for the reason for this.

- From the "checkbox" table set all values to 0. This will mean if a manual install is done of the application then all the annoying options are unticked by default.

- Save MSI

Step 4

Edit quicktime.msi using orca

- From view select summary information. Within this window in languages remove all but 1033. Press OK

- From the "Properties" table adjust the properties for REGSRCH_DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS to 0 and SCHEDULE_ASUW to 0.

- From the "Checkbox " table adjust ChkOptInstASU to 0 & ChkOptInstShortcuts to 0. This will mean if a manual install is done of the application then all the annoying options are unticked by default.

- From The "shortcut" table remove QuickTimePlayer_Desktop & QuickTimeUninstaller. This will remove the annoying shortcuts

- From "LaunchCondition" table drop the "NOT BNEWERPRODUCTISINSTALLED" entry. See one of the above URLS for the reason for this.

- Save MSI

Step 5

At this point you will want to make sure that the MSI's work with a script. Here is a copy of mine that will install Itunes. You will need to add absolute or UNC paths to the files for it work in step 6:

@echo off
Title Installing Itunes + Quicktime

@echo Installing Apple Application Support

start /wait msiexec /i AppleApplicationSupport.msi /q

@echo Installing Apple Mobile Device Support

start /wait msiexec /i AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi /q

@echo Installing MobileMe

start /wait msiexec /i MobileMe.msi /q

@echo Installing Quicktime

start /wait msiexec /i quicktime.msi /q

@echo Installing itunes

start /wait msiexec /i itunes.msi /q

exit 0

Optional Extras

Disabling QTTASK from Startup

After installing quicktime it starts up QTTASK at login. Normally you would need to use msconfig to stop it from starting, however you can add the following to a script to remove it

@echo Disable QTTASK from startup (optional)

reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "QuickTime Task" /f

Disabling ituneshelper from Startup

After installing itunes it starts up ituneshelper.exe at login. Normally you would need to use msconfig to stop it from starting, however you can add the following to a script to remove it

@echo Disable ituneshelper from startup (optional)

reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "iTunesHelper" /f

Applying Quicktime preferences

Applying Quicktime preferences (from the control panel) to the default profile has caused me a few little hiccups on some of my previous images, however I have found a solution for this.

In my original image I created a temp user which i copied to the default user (as per Microsoft KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959753) and applied the settings for quicktime in the control panel in this profile. Once this image was created a deployed, I found that normal users were not able to open quicktime videos on webpages and the quicktime preferences were missing.

The apple preferences are stored at %USERPROFILE%\local settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\QuickTime\quicktime.qtp which is referenced in registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Apple Computer, Inc.\QuickTime\LocalUserPreferences\FolderPath

The solution is to create a qtp file on an existing profile and then copy it to the default profile.

In your script you can add the following

@ Applying Quicktime preferences

@echo     - Create Quicktime Folder

if exist "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\QuickTime" goto folderexists
mkdir "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\QuickTime"

:folderexists

@echo     - Copy Preference File

xcopy QuickTime.qtp "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\QuickTime" /q /y

If it is an upgrade on a client machine you may want to copy in the qtp file in with a login script if you want updates disabled.

Step 6

Move your working script to a location that SCCM can use a the source directory (eg. \\server1\applications\itunes\). you will need to update your script to point to this path (i.e. start /wait msiexec /i "\\server1\applications\itunes\itunes.msi\" /qn

Step 7

Create A new package in SCCM

* From the SCCM console, open Site database -> Computer Management -> Software Distribution -> Software Packages

* From the Actions menu Create a New Package

* Fill in the Wizard with the appropriate details and press next

post-4566-12725105798509_thumb.jpg

* Select "this package contains source files" and Select the the location you choose in step 6. Then Ensure it is "always obtain files from the source directory" and press next

post-4566-1272511162469_thumb.jpg

* Press Next all the way out

* From this point for the newly created Package we need to create a new program

* In the new program wizard fill out the form with the below details and press next. In my case my install script was called install.cmd

post-4566-1272511603917_thumb.jpg

* For estimated disk space allow 1GB and 10 minutes for install. Then specify the client OS's that it can run on. Press Next

post-4566-12725116762924_thumb.jpg

* For Environment Select Program can run "Whether or not a user is logged on", "Run with Administrative Rights" and then press Next

post-4566-12725119249486_thumb.jpg

* For Advanced select Suppress Program notifications and press next

post-4566-12725119825276_thumb.jpg

* Windows Installer. Specify the itunes msi file, incase the application needs to be repaired etc

post-4566-12725120452489_thumb.jpg

* Press next all the way through

Step 8

Advertise the application

* Find the collection you want to advertise the itunes installer to. I've created one called itunes.

* Right click on the collection and select distribute Software

* Locate the Itunes package and press next

post-4566-12725163726484_thumb.jpg

* Ensure your distribution point is selected. and press next

post-4566-12725164012401_thumb.jpg

* Select the Install itunes & quicktime program and press next

post-4566-12725164676812_thumb.jpg

* Give the Advertisement a name and press next

post-4566-12725164980518_thumb.jpg

* Specify whether the advertisement should be made available to subcollections and press next

* Specfiy when the program will be advertised. In most cases you should not need to adjust these settings.

* Specify whether to assign the program as mandatory. In this case I want to get it out ASAP ignoring any maintenance windows without restarting

post-4566-12725168997112_thumb.jpg

* Press next to complete the wizard.

* The application should then install when the machine next updates it's machine policy.

1 answer to this question

this is a great guide that I've used.. but 1 question.. how do I make sure that update check is disabled?

I've set the settings via orca, but automatic check for updates is still enabled? is there no way to completely disable all update checks in itunes?