GauiC

Install pending on a software package

Question

Hi,

I have one site server SCCM 2007 R2 SP2, and one branch distribution point on a remote server.

I have created a bunch of packages and distributed them to both my primary site server and also the remote server.

However now I notice that some of the packages are marked as install pending on the remote distribution point.

When I connect to the remote server and try to enter the smspckd$\<packageid> folder then I get an error that I do not have rights for that folder (am logged in as domain admin). When I go to security tab for smspckd$\<packageid> folder then I get this error:

"You do not have permission to view or edit the current permission settings for P0100015, but you can take ownership or change auditing settings"

I did then take ownership for that folder and found out that all of the data was in the folder, so the folder was up to date.

I then did an update distribution point for that package to see if the install pending issue would be fixed but then the folder security rights changed again and I was not able to go to that folder or see the security rights (unless I take ownership again)

And the package still remains install pending for that distribution point.

I have few package that have this same issue (other packages are fine)

There is enough space on the drive that hosts smspckd$ folder.

I have been working on this issue now for a few days and am just about lost right now.

Regards,

GauiC

5 answers to this question

is there any antivirus software on that remote dp ? try disabling it to see if it helps ?. how is BITS configured ?

The server is running Trend Micro OfficeScan antivirus software.

I would rather not disable the antivirus for testing as the server is also fileserver and in full production. Is it possible that the antivirus software could have effects like this?

BITS is configured to apply only to branch distribution points and to throttle traffic to 20Kbps during office hours and allow BITS downloads outside office hours 9999Kpbs.

ok then what does the distrmgr.log say for that dp ? can you test disabling av on the dp just to see if it IS having an effect on package distribution ?

It seems like this issue has been resolved.

What I did was to remove the distribution point role from the remote server and reinstall the role, but now I used a domain administrator account to install the role instead of the site servers computer account.

The remote server was also acting as a domain controller so the site server computer account did not have all the rights needed (I guess)

Update on this issue.

The reinstallation of the distribution point was maybe part of the solution but not enough.

To fix this issue I had to monitor BITS on the branch distribution point using

bitsadmin /monitor /allusers

and if there was an error I would use:

bitsadmin /info <jobid> /verbose > logfile.txt

Then I would review the logfile.txt and see what's causing the error, in my case there was a file extension (.resource) that had to be allowed in the applicationhost.config file (%windir%\system32\inetsvr\config\applicationhost.config)

If there are more than one jobs running I would use bitsadmin /suspend <jobid> and then bitsadmin /resume <jobid> to force that job to retry.

So now the issue is solved.