Kevin79

User based deployments

Question

I currently use machine based deployments but as more and more software seems to go to use bases licensing, I'm thinking of shifting to user based deployments. I have a few questions though.

• Is user based deployments the future? Is MS guiding users towards using it or is it still based on each application?
  • How do I move from machine based to user based while still keeping it on machines that currently have the software? 
  • Are there any downfalls to using user based deployments?

1 answer to this question

On 1/7/2020 at 10:02 PM, Kevin79 said:

I currently use machine based deployments but as more and more software seems to go to use bases licensing, I'm thinking of shifting to user based deployments. I have a few questions though.

• Is user based deployments the future? Is MS guiding users towards using it or is it still based on each application?
  • How do I move from machine based to user based while still keeping it on machines that currently have the software? 
  • Are there any downfalls to using user based deployments?

Support for the Application Catalog role has ended since version 1910

Since version 1806
Specify the visibility of the Application Catalog website link on the Installation Status tab in the Software Center. For more information, see Software Center Client Settings.
You no longer need the Application Catalog role to display the applications available to users in Software Center. This change helps reduce the server infrastructure required to deliver applications to users. Software Center now relies on management points to get this information, helping them scale better by assigning larger environments to boundary groups

Refer to the official Microsoft documentation