SamSep

OWN website for PKI

Question

I'm busy with part 4 of pki.

Here we have to use our website, but if it is not possible to make my own website right now, what can i do? This is only for learning and it is not needed to have a website. what is another possible solution?

Note: Edit the command below to use your public facing HTTP web server address, I'm using http://pki.windows-noob.com, you should use your own address.

1 answer to this question

good question ! the 'website' is only a DNS entry in some web registrar to link back to your webserver Virtual Machine, in other words, it's just a pointer, that's all you need, so if you have any control over DNS for a website then you can fix this easily

if you look at Step 5 in Part 3 it shows you how that is done for GoDaddy (for example)

so let's imagine that you own a website address called www.mywebsite.com

you login to the website provider and configure a new DNS entry such as pki.mywebsite.com and point the IP address to the Internet facing IP address you have on your smoothwalls internet nic

then, on the smoothwall, you forward port 80 requests to the local IP address of your webserver virtual machine,

that will solve it

if you don't have access to any web registrar or website, then you could do a hack, and modify the local HOSTS file on the issuingca and maybe some other vm's to point pki.mywebsite.com to the local ip address of your webserver Virtual machine...

cheers

niall