qaisar

Network Connection Issue (MDT 2008)

Question

Hi

I have a working MDT 2008 (WAIK 1.1) (Server = 2003) that I use for Windows XP deployment. I recently started using it to deploy Windows 7 (Pilot Phase) and had success with older hardware (like HP 5100, 5500 etc). We recently bought some laptops (IBM Lenovo T410) and I am trying to deploy the image to these laptops but when I PXE boot and type in my network credentials I get the following errors:

Invalid credentials: The network path not found

and when I click Cancel I get the following:

"A connection to the deployment share (\\...\Distribution$) could not be made. The deployment will not proceed. The following network device did not have a driver installed.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_10EA&SUBSYS_215317AA&REV_06"

The network card is Intel® 82577LM Gigabit.

I have added the NIC driver to the "Out of box drivers" node in MDT. I have run "Update" under the Deployment Points. I have re-added the new boot image (disbaled the old boot image) in WDS and restarted the server in the WDS console...but nothing worked.

The reference Windows 7 image is a 32 bit image, the boot image is also 32 bit (x86).

Any help is appreciated....thanks

5 answers to this question

Have you tried it with MDT 2010? Maybe there's a difference how MDT 2010 injects drivers compared to 2008? It would explain how you got older hardware work with it (drivers included in Windows 7 standard image).

Have you tried it with MDT 2010? Maybe there's a difference how MDT 2010 injects drivers compared to 2008? It would explain how you got older hardware work with it (drivers included in Windows 7 standard image).

No I have not and since it is a production environment, ugrade of MDT server to 2010 is not possible at this time.

thanks

are you sure its using the 32 bit image ?

very good question

Yes I am using using the 32 bit image. In the "Windows Deployment Services" under Boot Images I have the "Lite Touch Windows PE (x86)" image. And just to try out, I also checked the x64 option in the Dpolyment Points properties (under the Platforms Supported section), ran the update, re-pointed to x64 boot image in WDS but that did not work either. So I repointed to x86 boot image and deleted the x64 boot image.

thanks

after re-reading your post, you should be using MDT 2010, mdt 2008 doesn't support Windows 7, and that could be the reality of your problems right now, if you want to deploy xp, it's fine, but for windows 7 you must use mdt 2010