Harvey

WinPE question

Question

When you create a boot image, do you use the appropriate drivers for your SCCM version? Ours is upgraded to SP2 and upgrades PE to ver.3. I read you should use Win 7 drivers. I think we used XP drivers which worked for all models except the 755 after some patches to fix some certificate issues. I've tried Vista and Win 7 and it doesn't matter.

I see Task Sequence screenshots out there where Apply Network Settings before the Apply Drivers. Does that mean it uses the drivers on the boot image to add it to the domain and continues to the Apply Drivers section?

I'm just trying to figure out what driver it's using when it reaches that point, it doesn't seem to matter except on 1 system.

1 answer to this question

ok in task sequences the apply drivers steps refer to applying drivers in the Operating system you are deploying, nothing to do with windows PE at all,

the only drivers you should ever add to your WinPe image are nic or storage, nothing more, and they must correspond to the version of pe you are using

so if

sccm 2007 sp1-use windows vista drivers

sccm 2007 sp2-use windows 7 drivers

does that help ?