anyweb

Configuring the Registered Owner and Organization in Windows Autopilot delivered PCs

Introduction

I received a brand new HP Laptop (HP EliteBook 830 G6) to verify our current Autopilot setup, and I went through OOBE. All seemed well and I was curious about the version of Windows shipped so I ran WinVer. The following screen appeared.

winver.png

Notice how the registered owner and registered organization fields are automatically populated with HP's default settings, this was a Windows Autopilot enrolled HP delivered with HP's business clean image (no bloatware). The following registry key reveals where those values are set.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

registry settings.png

if the following REG_SZ keys are missing:

• RegisteredOrganization
  • RegisteredOwner

You'd see the following instead.

values not set.png

So now that I knew why I was seeing those values I decided to fix it.

Step 1 - Add a PowerShell script to Endpoint Manager

In Microsoft Endpoint Manager select Devices and then select Scripts as shown here (alternatively, choose Devices, Windows, PowerShell Scripts...)

devices and scripts.png

Click on Add and select Windows 10 as the operating system.

add windows 10.png

Fill in the Name of the script and a description, note that the Name does not have to match the actual name of the script.

name and description of script.png

Note: you must be a logged in member of windows-noob.com to download this script.

Next, point it to the PowerShell script which you can download here and select to Run this script using the logged on credentials.

add powershell script.png

Next select the Groups you want to assign it to, I selected my Windows 10 Autopilot DEVICES group

windows  10 autopilot DEVICES group.png

Step 2. Test an Autopilot device

Start OOBE (out of box experience) on an Autopilot enrolled device.

autopilot oobe.png

move through the screens and you'll have to enter your credentials at the welcome to your Tenant name screen

welcome to technical preview.png

after signing in successfully the Enrollment Status Page will appear (if configured to do so)

ESP.png

Step 3. Verify changes

If everything went according to plan, after a while Windows Autopilot will be completed and you'll be logged on to the desktop, you can now verify the changes by typing WinVer.

winver fixed.png

Troubleshooting

If things didn't go as planned take a look at the IntuneManagementExtension.log with CMTrace. It's found in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\IntuneManagementExtention\Logs folder

image.png

and confirm that the script ran successfully and that it ran in User context (user was a local admin in this case). If you need to run it as SYSTEM then change the variable for RegisteredOwner in the script to something else.

job done !

Downloads

Here's the PowerShell script used above

ConfigureRegistered_User_Org.ps1

If user is not local admin then we can use below command to set the value of $UserName and run as system context 

$UserName = (Get-ItemProperty (Get-ChildItem -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Enrollments" -Recurse -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | % {if((get-itemproperty -Path $_.PsPath) -match "UPN") { $_.PsPath} }) -Name UPN | Select -ExpandProperty UPN).split('@')[0]