Jimm

problems doing build and capture of windows 7

Question

In case anyone else goes through this.

Seems like Intel have updated the iaAHCI.inf and iaStor.inf files for both

the x86 and x64 drivers.

Downloaded Intel Matrix Storage Manager (version 8.9.0.1023)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2101

Extracted the file IATA89ENU.exe to a temp folder

IATA89ENU.exe -a -p c:\temp

x86 drivers end up in C:\temp\winall\Driver

x64 drivers end up in C:\temp\winall\Driver64

I removed the previous Intel storage drivers I had.

I then imported drivers using the path C:\temp\winall64 and checked "Import

drivers even if they are duplicates of and existing driver".

This gave me 2 iaAHCI and 2 iaStor drivers. Both correctly detected as x86

and x64.

I can now PXE load my pre-OS for capturing in SCCM

Jimm

Moving on... so I am now trying to B&C a Windows 7 device. The same troube exists with IASTOR.SYS except this time I am puzzled as to what exactly is happening and why. I am using a Dell Vostro 3400 and 3500 as my build devices. The MS Windows 7 Pro media has a good IASTOR.SYS file in it. I assume so at least because I can load the OS and everything is working without having to install additional drivers from Intel or Dell.

I send the OS to the laptop and used my driver packages which include the new version of IASTOR. The TS can create and format the drive partitions and install the factory OS. When the devices tries to restart and configure windows before the capture, I get the error that IASTOR is missing or corrupt. I verified the right file is loaded and it is the same version that I got from Dell.

I tried working around this and took my MS media and manually installed 7. I updated all the drivers and placed my basic apps in there as well. I wanted to capture a basic OS / primary app load and then deploy it as a way of getting around the B&C TS. I was able to capture the WIM and deploy it. When the device starts, I still get the IASTOR error. I tried updating BIOS to V2 and also tried turning the SATA to IDE mode and also the off mode in hopes to resolve this. Everything has failed. Does anyone have insight as to how this happens and what can be done to correct this? My thought is that if the 7 DVD has the drivers to build a bare metal laptop and works, why is the SCCM TS not working when using the same drivers or updated drivers that also work when installed manually?

Very frustrating...

Jimm

2 answers to this question

try build and capture using the Windows 7 Enterprise DVD instead of using an OEM dvd (which i assume you are doing), also i moved your post to the windows 7 section

Disable your auto apply drivers and driver packages for testing, see if that fixes your problem.

I'm working with x64 but when i disabled the drivers in SCCM and load just the windows 7 drivers seems to resolve problems.

I then add the driver packages in later after the first reboot and apply a pnp refresh to load the drivers.

(can post this tomorrow if you want the pnp refresh)