Nerano

Windows 10 In-Place-Upgrade task sequence downloading ALL drivers

Question

Hi

I have an issue whereby my Windows 10 IPU task sequence is downloading all driver packages specified in the TS (Download Package Content)
allthough the correct driver packages already exist in the CCM cache on the PC running the TS.

I have used the following guide to create a PreCache task sequence: https://www.imab.dk/windows-as-a-service-sharing-my-precache-and-in-place-upgrade-task-sequences-part-1/ (credit to Martin Bengtsson for the excellent guide) and it works very well. A PC which has successfully run the PreCache TS downloads the correct drivers (using a WMI query) and other packages specified that are needed and then places the computer in a collection to where the actual IPU task sequence is deployed.

The problem is that the IPU task sequence which is deployed with the setting "Download all content locally before starting the task sequence" (the setting found under the "Distribution Point" tab) starts to download driver packages for other hardware models that are specified in the TS (despite using WMI queries in this TS also). Because of the current Covid-19 pandemic the majority of our users are working from home so we obviously want to keep the amount of data transfered to a minimum, it seems stupid to cache driver content that´s not needed to work around the problem.

I thought that the IPU TS would evaluate the queries before downloading (i read somewhere that this was only possible for upgrade packages/language packs but in later versions of current branch also included other packages). We are running CB 1910.

Hope this makes sense, if anyone has experienced this and can suggest a workaround or confirm how it´s supposed to work it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Emile

6 answers to this question

Emilie, does this happen even though you specify a custom location for the download? The download of drivers are not meant to happen to the CM cache for the same reason.

Also, did you follow this guide? https://www.imab.dk/windows-as-a-service-precaching-drivers-before-in-place-upgrades-with-configmgr-task-sequences/

Niall was kind enough to make me aware of this thread. I believe we had a conversation going on elsewhere. Was it Twitter?

1 hour ago, Martin Bengtsson said:

Emilie, does this happen even though you specify a custom location for the download? The download of drivers are not meant to happen to the CM cache for the same reason.

Also, did you follow this guide? https://www.imab.dk/windows-as-a-service-precaching-drivers-before-in-place-upgrades-with-configmgr-task-sequences/

Niall was kind enough to make me aware of this thread. I believe we had a conversation going on elsewhere. Was it Twitter?

Hi Martin

Thank you for taking your time to reply, much appreciated.

We are downloading the drivers to the CM cache, I think the PreCache TS that you have available for download (that we based our PreCache TS on) has BIOS packages as examples and not drivers so I might have missunderstood how it should be done. I just had a quick look at the guide above (which I haven´t seen previously) and it seems like you have to use regular packages and not driver packages which we are using (we only have 2 hardware models and thought it was overkill using Driver Automation Tool but maybe should reconsider). I assume you guide will not work if using driver packages?

For the driver installation part in our IPU task sequence we followed Arwidmarks suggestions here:

https://deploymentresearch.com/improving-the-configmgr-inplace-upgrade-task-sequence/

I have not been in touch with you previously regarding this issue but I did post a question on your site when I had problems when trying to update the configuration.mof file when trying to extend the hardware inventory (resolved now).

/Emile

HI Emile, Did you find an answer to this? I am in the same position at the moment, I pre cache content using a separate task sequence to the ccmcache and then when I run the inplace upgrade task sequence it re downloads the content and doesn't use the ccmcache, any help would be appreciated

1 hour ago, aiadnbbk said:

HI Emile, Did you find an answer to this? I am in the same position at the moment, I pre cache content using a separate task sequence to the ccmcache and then when I run the inplace upgrade task sequence it re downloads the content and doesn't use the ccmcache, any help would be appreciated

Hi

Yes it´s now working as expected after using a a custom path for my drivers as suggested by Martin Bengtsson in this guide  https://www.imab.dk/windows-as-a-service-precaching-drivers-before-in-place-upgrades-with-configmgr-task-sequences/.

/Emile

5 minutes ago, aiadnbbk said:

Thankyou and do you cache the WIM aswell, if so do you also have that in a custom path?

Yes, I cache the WIM/upgrade package and other packages but they are cached in the CCM cache. It´s only the drivers that need to be stored in a custom path. /Emile