kcdinga

USMT 4.0 Issues with Hardlinking - Administrator Profile failing

Question

Hello,

I am working on setting up the migration from Windows XP to Windows 7 using SCCM SP2. I used the demo task sequence provided on this website (which was fantastic), however, I am running into an issue.

I will provide logs from the failed migration after I explain a few things about the build.

1. We change the name of the local administrator account from administrator to trogdor (yes...the burninator) via group policy. I think what is happening is the scanstate is scanning the trogdor account successfully, however, when the machine is disjoined from the network, the account reverts back to its original name of administrator. When the loadstate tries to load, it fails becuase it cannot find an instance of trogdor.

In the loadstate log, its states this:

2010-06-02 20:05:43, Error [0x000000] The account WINDOWS7\trogdor is chosen for migration, but the target does not have account WINDOWS7\trogdor. See documentation on /lac, /lae, /ui, /ue and /uel options.[gle=0x00000006]

2010-06-02 20:05:43, Error [0x0802f5] CMediaManager::Close: m_pSelectedTransport->Close(1) failed with Exception Win32Exception: Device was open with readonly access.: Access is denied. [0x00000005] void __thiscall Mig::CMediaManager::CloseTransport(int)

2010-06-02 20:05:43, Error [0x000000] MigCloseCurrentStore caught exception: Win32Exception: Device was open with readonly access.: Access is denied. [0x00000005] void __thiscall Mig::CMediaManager::CloseTransport(int)

I also noticed my build did not rejoin to the network, but that is understandable, as I did not delete the original object in AD...so it was not able to create a new object in the OU I have chosen in the task sequence.

Any help is greatly apprciated.

The scanstate, loadstate and smsts logs are attached to this post.

Kcdinga

loadstate.log

scanstate.log

smsts.log

4 answers to this question

After doing some more searching...I found another forum (which had a post from anyweb in it...) with the /ui:domain\* tag...to just copy domain level profiles. I added this to the task sequence and am testing now. I wasn't sure, so I added the tag to both the Set Hard-link Scan Parameters and teh Set Hard-link Load Parameters...we will see how that works.

I will post back with the results.

kcdinga

OK...that worked. (when I say that worked...I meant, only migrating the domain profiles) but thank you for your reply!

soooo...and I will post this next question in another thread...

How can I get the object to join back to the domain using the existing object :-)....but like I said, that is not a question for this thread.

Thanks,

KCDinga

Your problem is that the local account trogdor doesn't excist yet in the new situation. This is why you should use at least /lac (local account create) to migrate local accounts.

Hi Peter,

For out situation, we do not want to migrate any local accounts...only domain accounts. When I use the /ui: ats\* I get an error...stating the /all cannot be used with /ui...I am trying something different right now...where I went into the task sequence and chose the second option...rather than Migrate All Profiles. The second option allows you to use a custom file...but I do not know what that file would be...nor where to store it...

It did allow me to not choose a config file when applying the changes to the task sequence in SCCM...We will see what happens.

Have you had anyone else have these issues in the past? The whole process doesnt really seem like rocket science, but its kicking my butt.

Thanks for your help,

Ray