scjsorrell

"Inaccessible Boot Device" Pushing OSD Task Sequence

Hello,

I recently deployed an OS task sequence to a device collection and all of the computers came up with "Inaccessible Boot Device" afterward.  This is the first time I have tried pushing an OSD as a required deployment to computers that are already powered up and running Windows.  The OSD works fine with booting to media, and this same OSD worked fine on these computers after I circled back around to reload them via bootable media.  The computers showed up in AD with the automatically generated name, so I believe the OSD was successful, maybe just missing some drivers?

Has anyone run into this before, or can you suggest a course of action?  Thanks for any help you can offer!

Scott

hi Scott and welcome

the first thing i'd suggest you do is grab the smsts*.log files on one of the affected computers and zip them up and upload here so we can take a look, that will hopefully reveal what went wrong

any additional info you can add, such as hardware that was affected and whether or not there's any changes to BIOS/UEFI setup in the task sequence ?

Thanks for the reply!

I will try to get the SMSTS logs and post them.  Might be fun with the inaccessible boot device, but should work to boot to a flash drive and get to it from the command prompt (maybe?)

At any rate, I've attached screenshots of my steps under "Format Disks" in the TS.  Haven't changed the BIOS/UEFI settings on the actual machines, and the same TS worked just fine after kicking it off from a flash drive.

Scott

Annotation 2020-11-20 114413B.jpg

Annotation 2020-11-20 114413A.jpg

Annotation 2020-11-20 114413.jpg

ZTISCCM.logZTIGather.logwpeinit.logsmsts-20201119-163751.logsmsts.logdism.logBDD.log

OK, I managed to pull logs from one of the machines giving the "Inaccessible Boot Device".  I found them in c:\smstslog, and the folder structure I saw on C makes me think a lot of the software I include in the OSD was successfully installed.  Let me know if you need anything else to look at.  As I mentioned, I usually kick off OSD's by booting to a flash drive, so making a TS a required deployment is new to me.  Thanks for anything you can come up with!