slice16

Unable to update Boot Images

Question

Hello All,

I am trying to update the standard boot images in SCCM 2007 R2 to my DP. I follow the following process:

New Distibution Points - Select DPs and finish  wizard.
Update Distribution Points

After 5 mins or so, I get the following error:

Error: Boot image to update: 
Microsoft Windows Vista PE (x86)

Error: Actions to perform: 
Add ConfigMgr binaries
Disable Windows PE command line support
Add drivers

Error: Failed to import the following drivers:

Error: The wizard detected the following problems when updating the boot image.
Unable to import a boot image that is not finalized
The ConfigMgr Provider reported an error.: ConfigMgr Error Object:
instance of SMS_ExtendedStatus
{
	Description = "Failed to insert OSD binaries into the WIM file";
	ErrorCode = 2152205056;
	File = "e:\\nts_sms_fre\\sms\\siteserver\\sdk_provider\\smsprov\\sspbootimagepackage.cpp";
	Line = 3824;
	ObjectInfo = "CSspBootImagePackage::PreRefreshPkgSrcHook";
	Operation = "ExecMethod";
	ParameterInfo = "SMS_BootImagePackage.PackageID=\"BUR00001\"";
	ProviderName = "WinMgmt";
	StatusCode = 2147749889;
};

I have done a little research on the internet and it is talking about re-installing WAIK. I have done this and rebooted to no-avail.

Kind Regards,

Paul

2 answers to this question

I'm having this same issue - I'll add a driver to the driver pool, update the driver package to the DP, then head over to the boot image to add said NIC driver. I have verified that the driver package successfully updated to the DP and the package status is "installed", but I'm still unable to update the WinPE boot image - a bunch of errors about the ConfigMgr binaries as well as the driver failing to inject.

I have a lot of experience with standalone imageX and the way it mounts, unmounts, and services WIM files - and it's very picky during the unmount process (i.e. if an explorer window is open that references a path inside the boot image, the unmount will fail, and you'll have to use the /discard option). Could it be something ridiculous pertaining to the mounting/unmounting of the virtual boot WIM?

Have you tried starting a new boot image from scratch? Pull the one from the PETools directory of Program Files\WAIK\PETools\x86 and start fresh - I ended up doing this and it worked out. It seems that if a boot image gets 'corrupted,' unless you have a backup of previous source versions, it's quite difficult to fix.

That said, my broken boot image ended up being a driver issue, so I cleared all of NIC drivers from the boot image and it was then able to update successfully.