TBailey

Packages deploy to extra computers.

Question

SCCM newb here, but learning quickly.

Thanks for all the great guides, anyweb.

I am working on testing the deployment of packages.

First thing I learned is that you have to be extremely patient with SCCM.

I can't create a package, program, and advertisement, and expect it to fire off 5 minutes later.

I set it to go about 3 hours later, and it seems to work.

BUT, (and there's always a but, isn't there?) not only is the package deploying to the target PCs, but it is deploying to about 6 extra computers that aren't in the target collection.

And then the weirder thing is that it seems to be the same extra computers no matter what package I advertise.

Could someone give me an idea on where to start troubleshooting this?

Thanks!

TB

2 answers to this question

Ok, after more digging, I think I got it.

Yes, it is the image.

I guess that when I made the image for these type of computers, it already had the sccm agent on it.

Each agent has a unique guid.

I guess it isn’t smart enough to change the guid either during a sysprep, or when the computer first checks in with the sccm server after getting put on the domain.

So, I’ll have to remove the agent and make a new image.

Great.

Hey TB

What method are you using for imaging? And more importantly for prepping the image prior to deployment?

Do you use sysprep? I used to use Ghost for imaging and Ghostwalk to create new SSID's for XP machines but had same problem as you. To get around this on the master image you remove the machine from any domain and disconnect from the network and follow this guide http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb694095.aspx

With Windows 7 the new sysprep did this all for me, including generating a new sccm unique identifier, which can be tested by checking the smscfg.ini file and the unique ID is located in there.