Bane

Problem with computer name

Question

Hi

currently I'm trying to deploy windows 7 on some computers. At the moment those computers are running XP. They are domain members and everyone has a hostname i want to keep after the win 7 deployment.

In my testing environment it worked perfectly. I enabled "migrate computer name" in the "capture windows settings" in my task sequence and Win 7 was deployed on 2 virtual machines (using hyper v) and they both kept there names after the win deployment.

Now I used the same task sequence for some of the real machines where i want to deploy win 7 on (just changed the OU) and after the deployment was done i saw that every of those machines got a new computer name. they are now all called minint-.....

What am i doing wrong? why is there a difference behavier between deploying a task sequence on my two test machines and deploying it on the real machines? And the most important question, what do i have to do to keep the old computer names after the win 7 deployment

i hope someone can help me with this problem; i've already searched the forum but i could't find anything which would help me to solve this problem

greetings

bane

1 answer to this question

One thing i forgot to mention is that though sccm already discovered all the machines and added them to the right collections it is always the TS advertised to "all unknown computers" which is used instead of the TS advertised to the collection where the machines are listed in

some of the machines have the sccm client installed on them but most of them don't have and the client also isn't installed by manually clicking "Install Client"; is it right that all the machines which don't have the client installed are "unknown computers" for sccm?

greetings

bane