Jump to content


Nerano

Problem with SCCM Task Sequence stuck in "installing" state

Recommended Posts


We are deploying a Windows 1909 IUP which consists of a Pre-Cache TS which tattoos the registry and then moves the client to a new collection
which has an app advertised to run the actual IUP (which references another TS).

I have followed Martin Bengtssons excellent guides to do this
https://www.imab.dk/windows-as-a-service-sharing-my-precache-and-in-place-upgrade-task-sequences-part-1/
https://www.imab.dk/windows-as-a-service-sharing-my-precache-and-in-place-upgrade-task-sequences-part-2/

The problem we are experiencing is that on about 10% of the clients the Pre-Cache TS is stuck in "installing" state despite the fact that it
has managed to carried out all the steps int the TS (downloaded OS + packages etc) and tattooed the registry.

I have already read the articles below but unfortunatley none of the suggestions have helped:
http://www.potentengineer.com/task-sequence-stuck-installing-in-software-center/
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e382da34-079c-4619-8fdb-e5e44c436857/software-center-show-application-stuck-at-installing

Has anyone else experienced this problem and have any suggestions? I have tried reparing the client which has not helped (I don´t think I've
ever managed to repair a corrupt client tbh). From what I´ve read it seems to be a WMI issue and we need a silver bullet to fix these clients
once we understand what the issue is.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Emile Risberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

did you try repairing wmi on a client with the issue, did that make any difference ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, anyweb said:

did you try repairing wmi on a client with the issue, did that make any difference ?

I have tried to repair the SCCM client (which did not help), I have not found a reliable repairing the WMI, do you have any tips?

I´m currently setting up this solution to see if it helps me: https://www.andersrodland.com/configmgr-client-health/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2021 at 3:43 PM, anyweb said:

did you try repairing wmi on a client with the issue, did that make any difference ?

Update: I have managed to repair WMI using a Powershell script on a client which is in the state described in my inital post and the TS changes status to "installed". However, when I initiate the installation of the IPU it starts downloading all the contents again despite the fact that everything has remained in the cache when repairing WMI (which we obviously want to avoid since it´s between 10-13 Gb over Direct Access/VPN).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...