ITMick

Task Sequence not working

Question

Hi. I'm VERY new to SCCM and have run into an issue which I'm sure is a simple fix but has me stumped.

I've been asked to package up a job which is in two parts. The first is to run an exe file which is located on all of our clients, followed by running a file to change the registry. The first involves running the following command;

"C:\Program Files\Palo Alto Networks\GlobalProtect\PanGPS.exe" -registerplap

The second involves running a .reg file.

I initially created a text file with the line in red above, saved it as a .cmd file and ran it manually on a VM and it ran fine. The .reg file also runs fine when ran manually.

What is the best way to run the two of them via SCCM please? I initially saved both files to my primary server and created a package, with no program, pointing to the saved location. I then created a Task Sequence with two command line steps. The first, pointing to the .cmd file and the second to the .reg file. When trying to run the Task Sequence, the job fails with the error code 1.

Any help is greatly appreciated because, as I say, I'm coming at this with very little knowledge. Thanks 

3 answers to this question

probably the easiest way to do this would be to use a script and to create a package/program to run it,

a task sequence could also work but requires more effort on the client side and would be more visible to the end user, I'd suggest coding a script in Powershell or whatever language you feel ok with and package that up, from memory though the error code 1 usually means it can't find the script or incorrect function

Hi anyweb, thanks for your reply and apologies for the delay in acknowledging it.

As I say, I'm very new to SCCM and have even less knowledge of Powershell or other languages (I know, I've really been dropped in the deep end here!), so I'm really limited to using my small knowledge of SCCM to get this working.

Thank you for the advice.

the best thing for you to do for now is to create a lab environment, three or four virtual machines, where you can learn SCCM and understand how it works and practice things before doing them in 'production'. Start with this guide.