NunovUrbizniz

High CPU Usage Cause by Windows Management Instrumentation

Question

My organization has over 130 reported cases of high CPU usage on our company laptops.  The issue occurs on various models (Dell Latitude 7450, 7470 and 7480, as well as Precision 5520).  The laptops are using Windows 10 1809 

Having looked at Task Manager, the task causing the highest CPU load is Windows Management Instrumentation [see attached image]

I have trawled the internet for some time now, found various articles, but nothing that permanently fixes the issue

• Stopped and started the following services
    • iphlpsvc
    • wscsvc
    • Winmgmt
  • Ran a script to reset the Windows Update Components
  • Ran a script to rebuild the WMI MOF
  • Ran a script to clean the software 
  • Renamed the REGISTRY.POL file

Each of of these steps improves the high CPU situation but after 3 - 5 days, the issue comes back

I thought the issue could be related to our SCCM/WSUS environment, but as I am not experienced enough, I cannot prove that case

Can anyone help 

High CPU.jpg

1 answer to this question

to prove it's not the ConfigMgr client agent, simply uninstall it on one or more of those systems and monitor to see if the problem re-occurs, if it doesn't then you've got a clue,

start there