jkjk12

DNS not working

Question

My DNS is not working.   Everything is running within a VMWorkstation environment.  I have 1 DC that is running all AD components.   It was working a few weeks ago.  Last month I could PXE and I could manually add a VM or physical machine to my AD.   It would get prompted for User/Password, I would enter this and it would Join the Domain.   Now, I can't so I'm not sure if it was an update that caused this issue.  Here is the error I get.

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator.  If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

An error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for domain "acme.net".

The error was: "No records found for given DNS query."
(error code 0x0000251D DNS_INFO_NO_RECORDS)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.acme.net

The DNS server is waiting for Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) to signal that the initial synchronization of the directory has been completed. The DNS server service cannot start until the initial synchronization is complete because critical DNS data might not yet be replicated onto this domain controller. If events in the AD DS event log indicate that there is a problem with DNS name resolution, consider adding the IP address of another DNS server for this domain to the DNS server list in the Internet Protocol properties of this computer. This event will be logged every two minutes until AD DS has signaled that the initial synchronization has successfully completed.

I have Googled this and I have tried many things.       

ipconfig /flushdns  |  ipconfig /registerdns  | net stop netlogon | net start netlogon |   

I have added this registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters
Value name: Repl Perform Initial Synchronizations
Value type: REG_DWORD
Value data: 0

Nothing seems to work.   How do I fix this error?

Thank you.  

1 answer to this question

I even removed the DNS role.  Rebooted.   Then re-added the DNS role.  Rebooted again.  I get the same errors as above.  

I'm not sure what happened but when I'm logged onto my DC and I open up an Admin CMD window..... I can't ping my own server and nslookup returns nothing.

Pinging AD1.ACME.Net [fe80::98d5:e37e:3944:6bd4%16] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from fe80::98d5:e37e:3944:6bd4%16: time<1ms

Ping statistics for fe80::98d5:e37e:3944:6bd4%16:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Windows\system32>nslookup
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.