Kingsidecastle

Bootable media problem

Question

Since I have been unable to create a hardware agnostic image for windows XP that will work on our various models of PCs (even with driver packages the images bluescreen at mup.sys), Instead, I have had to use a task sequence that will use "original installation source" and install software packages at the end.

The problem that I am having is that this base "image" is around 8GB and takes around 3 hours to create stand alone task sequence media for USB. This is a nightmare for testing and tweaking. Creating DVDs is cost prohibitive also since it would require dual layer disks and there is no solution when our "images" need to go beyond 8GB. Therefore I am trying to use bootable media and then just install the task sequence that way. If I take a PC that already has a valid configuration manager client on it I can drop it into my imaging collection and use bootable media with no problems. However when I use bootable media with new or formatted PCs they cannot get a list of any task sequences even when I add them through import computer information wizard of the computer associations module.

Any help would be much appreciated

Important information:

I am using SCCM 2007 SP2 R2 (4.00.6487.2000)

I cannot use the PXE server role on my network

Manually seeded computers display properly in the unprovisioned computers section of the OSD module

2 answers to this question

i feel your pain, but you do know that instead of creating the usb media you can create ISO's, and then mount them in your favorite virtual machine to test the image before burning to media or copying to USB key ?