stephenv

Sub Collections

Question

I am a Newbie to SCCM 2007. I am trying to get Subcollections setup so I can do companyA>windows7>Deparments (and we got like 20 departments)

Trying to get it so when I push Patches I can push to a Certain Department.. I cant figure out how to do this.. and I found out we Do use OU in AD

Thanks

6 answers to this question

you can make a dynamic query for each OU in each sub collection, that way a collection can point to department 1 (which could be OU dept1), another collection can point to department 2 (OU dept2) and so on,

like so > http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2013-how-can-i-create-a-collection-that-targets-only-computers-under-a-specific-ou/

you can make a dynamic query for each OU in each sub collection, that way a collection can point to department 1 (which could be OU dept1), another collection can point to department 2 (OU dept2) and so on,

like so > http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2013-how-can-i-create-a-collection-that-targets-only-computers-under-a-specific-ou/

Is there a way to create a recursive query? Lets say use one query and get the Sub-OUs...and end up having your AD structure in SCCM? :)

not that i know of, you'd have to build a 'mirror' copy of your ad structure by creating collections with the same structure and basing each collection on an OU, for a large AD that can take some time, but it is a one time thing, once it's setup you are done

not that i know of, you'd have to build a 'mirror' copy of your ad structure by creating collections with the same structure and basing each collection on an OU, for a large AD that can take some time, but it is a one time thing, once it's setup you are done

Follow this link!

Create a collection and note the Collection ID

Then Cscript.exe SystemOUCollectionCreator.vbs <ServerName> <ParentCollectionID> <site code>

Voila!! :)