Tommy75

CMG boundaries and Fallback

Hi all, 

I have an application upgrade task sequence which upgrades office and its various plugins, which consists of numerous reboots. The TS downloads all content locally before running due to the numerous reboots and users being on VPN. The VPN is a manual user connection using Cisco AnyConnect, plus we ask the user not to touch the device whilst the upgrade completes. Initially pushing the update down proved problematic as any missing content could not be downloaded once the device had rebooted, resulting in incomplete or failed updates. Enter the CMG - oh why did I not implement this at the beginning of the pandemic!?. Running the TS over the internet is quicker than over VPN plus i have real time monitoring and it completes successfully, however the real-world scenario will have our users on VPN to begin with, and then internet managed post first reboot. Checking the SMSTS log it appears that the client tries to look for the on-prem MP even though its connected to the CMG. The TS time is tripled as the client tries to look for the MP after each step - in addition the reporting is not real time. I have since added my CMG to the Default Site boundary group but it doesn't look like that's sorted the issue. 

Thanking you. 

interesting problem, are you setting this variable to true as a matter of interest ?

SMSTSDisableStatusRetry

In disconnected scenarios, the task sequence engine repeatedly tries to send status messages to the management point. This behavior in this scenario causes delays in task sequence processing.

Set this variable to true and the task sequence engine doesn't attempt to send status messages after the first message fails to send. This first attempt includes multiple retries.

When the task sequence restarts, the value of this variable persists. However, the task sequence tries sending an initial status message. This first attempt includes multiple retries. If successful, the task sequence continues sending status regardless of the value of this variable. If status fails to send, the task sequence uses the value of this variable.

and have you tried setting this variable after the reboot ?

SMSTSMP

Use this variable to specify the URL or IP address of the Configuration Manager management point.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/configmgr/osd/understand/task-sequence-variables

• Like 1

The CMG MP connect is successful. I guess my question is, if the client runs a TS whilst pointed to on-prem MP, and then halfway through switches to the CMG, will the TS recognise this or would you need to restart it to allow it to communicate with the new MP, or is it clever enough to realise it needs work off the switched MP? 

over time it will switch MP, now whether it'll do that during the task sequence I don't know, you want to save time so.. my point with the variable, is why not set the variable after the reboot to the CMG MP, have you tried that ?