lalajee

Wsus Server is not getting new Updates for Windows 10 and Server 2016

Question

Hi,

An new Wsus was build last year for Workgroup computers but Wsus is not download/get any new updates.

I have checked firewall rules and I can see all of the url are allowed for this server.

Is they an log file I can check to see why its not sync with Windows update or downloading new updates.
Also is they an log file for client computer connection issue.

On the client I can ping and connect to wsus server and the registry for wsus server exist on the client machine

The Windows Defender updates are working but nothing else.

8 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, anyweb said:

is WSUS separate from Configuration Manager ? what version of Windows Server is it running on ?

Its not link to SCCM. Its standalone WSUS

When I try to access WSUS MMC console > Synchronizations it crash the MMC console.

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API.

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

System.Net.WebException -- The operation has timed out

Source
System.Web.Services

Stack Trace:
  at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
  at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.ApiRemotingCompressionProxy.GetWebResponse(WebRequest webRequest)
  at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
  at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.ExecuteSPGetUpdateServerStatus(Int32 updateSources, Boolean includeDownstreamComputers, String updateScopeXml, String computerTargetScopeXml, String preferredCulture, Int32 publicationState, Int32 propertiesToGet)
  at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ExecuteSPGetUpdateServerStatus(UpdateSources updateSources, Boolean includeDownstreamComputers, String updateScopeXml, String computerTargetScopeXml, String preferredCulture, ExtendedPublicationState publicationState, UpdateServerStatusPropertiesToGet propertiesToGet)
  at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.GetStatus(UpdateSources updateSources, Boolean includeDownstreamComputers, UpdateScope updatesToInclude, ComputerTargetScope computersToInclude, UpdateServerStatusPropertiesToGet propertiesToGet)
  at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.GetReplicaStatus(UpdateSources updateSources)
  at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.CachedObject.RefreshCache()
  at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.CachedObject.GetFromCache()
  at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Pages.ServerSummaryPage.backgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

2022-02-02 16_28_20- Desktop Viewer.png

13 hours ago, anyweb said:

ok have you updated Server 2016 with the latest patches from windows update ?

Server is up-to-date, is they any update I need to check on server

Is they any log file like wsyncmgr.log for wsus I can look at to see why its failing

2022-02-03 09_Virtual Machine Connection.png

how did you configure WSUS, did you use SQL or SQL express, if you used SQL, which version ?  have you looked at event viewer for more details ?

2 hours ago, anyweb said:

how did you configure WSUS, did you use SQL or SQL express, if you used SQL, which version ?  have you looked at event viewer for more details ?

SQL, I re-run the sync again and it looks like it has been successfully this time but its not picking up the new updates e.g. I dont see any updates from Oct 2021

I can see some updates for 2022 e.g. .Net Frame

image.thumb.png.e1c9e0899fe67fe62e4d505ba93ed0b2.png

46 minutes ago, lalajee said:

SQL, I re-run the sync again and it looks like it has been successfully this time but its not picking up the new updates e.g. I dont see any updates from Oct 2021

I can see some updates for 2022 e.g. .Net Frame

image.thumb.png.e1c9e0899fe67fe62e4d505ba93ed0b2.png

In Product and Classification 

Under Products Tab

All Windows 10 Option are selected however the option for Client-21H1 or later is not selected

Under Classifications

All option are selected expect for Driver Set