Sokoban

FATAL MSI ERROR - BGBISAPI.MSI COULD NOT BE INSTALLED.

Hi

I have problem with the Management Point in SCCM

I have trying uninstall and install again Management Point .. Still same error .. and I haven't CCMSETUP Installed on the SCCM server.

I have that features installed:

• Remote differential compression
  • BITS
  • IIS 6 WMI Compatibility

<Sat Mar 5 18:35:43 2022> bgbisapi.msi exited with return code: 1603

<Sat Mar 5 18:35:43 2022> Backing up C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\logs\bgbisapiMSI.log to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\logs\bgbisapiMSI.log.LastError

<Sat Mar 5 18:35:43 2022> Fatal MSI Error - bgbisapi.msi could not be installed.

Please Help

// Sokoban

Property(S): SOURCEDIR = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\
Property(S): SourcedirProduct = {D0D952FC-4D3D-40F9-A4AA-649E398238F4}
Property(S): ProductToBeRegistered = 1
MSI (s) (0C:48) [20:16:08:841]: Note: 1: 1708 
MSI (s) (0C:48) [20:16:08:841]: Product: BGB http proxy -- Installation operation failed.
MSI (s) (0C:48) [20:16:08:842]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: BGB http proxy. Product Version: 5.00.9068.1000. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 1603.
MSI (s) (0C:48) [20:16:08:847]: Deferring clean up of packages/files, if any exist
MSI (s) (0C:48) [20:16:08:847]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603
MSI (s) (0C:04) [20:16:08:849]: RESTART MANAGER: Session closed.
MSI (s) (0C:04) [20:16:08:849]: No System Restore sequence number for this installation.

That's not the important part of the log, only the result.

I've seen several older sites where bgbisap.msi fails to install because the MSI custom action to check for free filespace fails. Funnily enough it's a check for 10MB of free space 😂 it's a custom action though so pretty sure the product team has a bug here bug our Premier Support tickets with Microsoft for this issue were all closed with "we've informed the product group and they will fix it". Seen it first in 2019 or so. Still in.

Sadly I haven't found a better way to deal with it - frankyl I didn't want to investigate any further - except this dirty workaround:

1. make a backup of bgbisapi.msi

2. uninstall bgbisapi.msi by using "msiexec /x bgbisapi.msi" (sadly, I've found that uninstallation through the regular product code does not work for bgbisapi.msi :()
this is to ensure there's no copy of the msi in the Windows Installer Cache

3. use InstEd! or Orca (if you're that old 😂 ) and remove the CustomAction that does the free disk space check (I think it's called CcmCheckFreeDiskSpace or something like that. Had to do that just last week on a 2107 site)

4. save the changed MSI (and close it in InstEd, otherwise it's still in use) and run a regular "msiexec /i bgbisapi.msi"

5. you might receive the Windows Installer popup that tells you the setup needs the source directory for bgbisapi.msi but it won't accept the \bin\x64 folder where bgbisapi.msi is located in. This is strange, right? Right. Click Cancel and the setup will complete successfully anyway 😂
the MSI build process that the product team uses for bgbisapi.msi is so borked...

Now restart your component manager (if you don't want to wait) and have a look at \logs\BgbSetup.log

Give it a few minutes and you should see that the installation of bgbisapi.msi is started again but this time with a whole bunch of additional parameters reflecting your configmgr environment (IIS location etc) and the setup should run through fine.

10 hours ago, cvoigt said:

That's not the important part of the log, only the result.

I've seen several older sites where bgbisap.msi fails to install because the MSI custom action to check for free filespace fails. Funnily enough it's a check for 10MB of free space 😂 it's a custom action though so pretty sure the product team has a bug here bug our Premier Support tickets with Microsoft for this issue were all closed with "we've informed the product group and they will fix it". Seen it first in 2019 or so. Still in.

Sadly I haven't found a better way to deal with it - frankyl I didn't want to investigate any further - except this dirty workaround:

1. make a backup of bgbisapi.msi - YES I have done that 

2. uninstall bgbisapi.msi by using "msiexec /x bgbisapi.msi" (sadly, I've found that uninstallation through the regular product code does not work for bgbisapi.msi :()
this is to ensure there's no copy of the msi in the Windows Installer Cache - I don't know how I uninstall bgbisapi.msi, it's appear "This action is only valid for products that currently installed." and in the folder (%windir%\installer - Windows Installer Cache do not exist the bgbisapi.msi and the product code

3. use InstEd! or Orca (if you're that old 😂 ) and remove the CustomAction that does the free disk space check (I think it's called CcmCheckFreeDiskSpace or something like that. Had to do that just last week on a 2107 site) - I have found  CustomAction and  CcmCheckFreeDiskSpace and it show: There is not enough available disk space on [PrimaryVolumePath] to complete this operation. Installation requires at least 10MB free disk space.

4. save the changed MSI (and close it in InstEd, otherwise it's still in use) and run a regular "msiexec /i bgbisapi.msi" - I have to uninstall first 

5. you might receive the Windows Installer popup that tells you the setup needs the source directory for bgbisapi.msi but it won't accept the \bin\x64 folder where bgbisapi.msi is located in. This is strange, right? Right. Click Cancel and the setup will complete successfully anyway 😂
the MSI build process that the product team uses for bgbisapi.msi is so borked...

Now restart your component manager (if you don't want to wait) and have a look at \logs\BgbSetup.log

Give it a few minutes and you should see that the installation of bgbisapi.msi is started again but this time with a whole bunch of additional parameters reflecting your configmgr environment (IIS location etc) and the setup should run through fine.

On 3/18/2022 at 6:38 AM, Sokoban said:

HI

I have solved that ...

I uninstalled all Features and installed them again ..

Thanks all support 😉

I was so excited to have Googled upon what is likely my exact same scenario - only to find this as the resolution. I don't understand what this means. You had a fully working SCCM except for this error, and you removed what features and installed them again? Are you talking about role manager features? This is the #1 google result, so lets spruce this answer up a bit.