learningmode

Is it possible to reload existing Hyper-V VM's after OS reload?

Question

Hi Intelligent guru's, 

I have a question with my current scenario.  

I recently had to reload my windows OS that I was hosting my Hyper-V VM's on.  I stored my Hard Disk Image File and AVHDX File, and also my Virtual Machines snapshots in a separate partition.  

Is it possible to create the new VM's with the existing snapshots? I am able to attach the HDI files, but that only takes me to the base load. When I try to attach AVHDX file, it errors.  I'm just not too sure where to begin.  

Thanks, 

7 answers to this question

have you tried using the import option in hyperv, point it to the folder where you have the original vms and let it do the magic, this will only work if you had ALL the files in that location, for example D:\Hyperv\vm1 and so on,

by default, unless you change it hyper-v usually tries to store some snapshot and other configuration info in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V  if i'm not mistaken... so if you haven't got a backup of that it might be difficult

6 hours ago, anyweb said:

have you tried using the import option in hyperv, point it to the folder where you have the original vms and let it do the magic, this will only work if you had ALL the files in that location, for example D:\Hyperv\vm1 and so on,

by default, unless you change it hyper-v usually tries to store some snapshot and other configuration info in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V  if i'm not mistaken... so if you haven't got a backup of that it might be difficult

Thanks for the quick response @anyweb yeah, I tried the import option and it didn't recognize any of the files in the snapshots or virtual machine folders that I have.  I'm guessing it won't see it unless you had exported the VM previously.  I may have to bit the bullet and just start fresh again... ouch! 

nope you don't need to export, it's all down to what is in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V which is where by default hyper-v stores it's configuration info about virtual machines,

now is the time for you to change how you create virtual machines and modify that path to store the configuration in the same folder as each vm.. like this...

image.png

otherwise that info will be stored in the default path on C:\ and if you lose that partition all that info will be lost

at least that's my guess (in your case)

can you check your vm's and see do you see any files like this ?>

image.png

On 4/13/2022 at 11:35 AM, learningmode said:

Oh wait... I might have figured it out, you just select the folder level and not select any specific file type. Ran into some errors but working through it. 

I just wanted to update that I did in fact were able to get my VM back.  Enough to log in and see my data again and back up. 

As always... thank you @anyweb