OwenL

SCCM ADR - Windows Updates

Hi Folks,

I'm looking an explanation if anyone can makes sense of my strange finding.

We can using ADR's that run generally after patch Tuesday, for example on the Thursday.  So i have a group of servers to be patched using an ADR (No Maintenance Window) on a Thursday at 8pm deadline to install/reboot as soon as possible, now what i noticed servers aren't taking the updates straight away so not even on the same day for example a few servers took updates the next day at 9am in the morning which then means they rebooted shortly after.

Can someone explain if the updates are set to install at 8pm and install as soon as possible that servers are taking so long as in downloading/installing updates the next day which is causing issues in production with server rebooting? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

i'm now looking to setup maintenance windows to try to make sure updates install on the day they are suppose to & between a set time period.

TIA

Owen 

the ruleengine.log should give you some clues as to why it's taking time to do what you expect, take a look at this old blog post which will hopefully give you some ideas about going deeper with your troubleshooting