emmathews83

How to Deploy OS Images on SCCM 2007

Question

Hello,

We are in the process of upgrading our SMS from 2003 to SCCM 2007 and we want to be able to deploy Computer images out to our plants. Now in our old SMS 2003 we had the packages created and then the user would just insert a bootable cd and it would pull down the image from the SMS server and install it on the new/old computer. Now we did not use PXE boot in 2003 and I was wondering if there is a way to do it in 2007 so that we do not need to use PXE? So far I created the image I want on my test computer and I was able to capture that and add it to the Operating System Images. Then from there I created a new Task to install an existing image package. From there I created an Advertisement and added to the collection that we created called Image Deployment Test. Created Bootable media. Updated Distribution Point. Booted the laptop up with the bootable media. Then when I click Next it says that "Failed to Run Task Sequence" then below that it says "There are no task sequences available for this computer." This is where I'm stuck now. The laptop does show up in the All System collection. Any help would be great.

Laptop: Dell E6510

3 answers to this question

are you using sccm 2007 r2 ? if so you can utilise the unknown computer collection in the R2 feature pack,

alternatively if you dont, did you add your computer to the deployment colleciton you created below ?

are you using sccm 2007 r2 ? if so you can utilise the unknown computer collection in the R2 feature pack,

alternatively if you dont, did you add your computer to the deployment colleciton you created below ?

We are using SCCM 2007 R2 but I'm new at SMS. I see two computers in the unknown computer collection but not the test computer. We did try and add the computer to the deployment collection using the membership rules, but it still would not find any tasks to install even though it had the advertisement in it. Also, we tried to import the computer which we would not like to do since we would like to be able to send the laptop straight from dell to one of our plants and then just have them insert the cd to image the computer, but that failed. If you have a guide on how to do this from start to finish that would be great, I'm sorry for the long questions, let me know what you would need from me. Thank you.

We are using SCCM 2007 R2 but I'm new at SMS. I see two computers in the unknown computer collection but not the test computer. We did try and add the computer to the deployment collection using the membership rules, but it still would not find any tasks to install even though it had the advertisement in it. Also, we tried to import the computer which we would not like to do since we would like to be able to send the laptop straight from dell to one of our plants and then just have them insert the cd to image the computer, but that failed. If you have a guide on how to do this from start to finish that would be great, I'm sorry for the long questions, let me know what you would need from me. Thank you.

Look for the computer name in "All Systems" collection and delete it, then try again (you might have to "Clear Last PXE Adv....on All Unknow collection).

At one point I had to delete the computer by using the MAC address as deleting the computer by name did not work.