Zero

Stand-alone media and usb problem

Question

hey all,

just wondering if anyone knows a way to convert a stand-alone dvd created by SCCM 2007 r2 to a bootable USB without receiving the HAL32.DLL error warning?

The issue is, our SCCM server is a virtual machine using vsphere, and therefore has no usb passthrough support. so for me to get a bootable usb key, i have to extract it onto a usb key.

so what i've done so far is created a stand-alone DVD which is tested and works, and then followed the steps for formatting a usb key to fat32, making it active and then copying the contents of the dvd onto the USB key - the issue i have is that while this allows me to boot off of the USB key successfully, apon a reboot the client machine gives me an error of being unable to find hal32.dll

i checked out the web and it stated something about using a ts variable called SMSTSLaunchMode equals UDF+FORMAT, but it doesnt really mention in what step to add this etc?

has anyone else been in a similiar situation? surely im not the first to use a sccm that was virtual and needing to do stand alone usb drives?

3 answers to this question

The issue is, our SCCM server is a virtual machine using vsphere, and therefore has no usb passthrough support. so for me to get a bootable usb key, i have to extract it onto a usb key.

not an issue, just install the SCCM admin console on your windows 7 or windows xp desktop and create the key there, works fine ! :)

oh god i could hug you so much right now. windows-noob indeed.

:D

I'm glad I'm not the only one who over thought this problem. It's funny because I have the admin console installed and everything... just never thought to use it from my desktop... Sometimes plugging through a new hugely elaborate program like SCCM temporarily removes logical thinking because it's all so disjointed in my mind still.