In Deployment Status > unknown error, there are a very large number of PCs with the default windows name  "MININT-XXXXX". 

Those PCs shouldn't be there because although  they were created in the first instance by task sequence, later the name was changed and updated.....

My question is: what is the process SCCM use to discover the PC? Why this PCs are still in the SCCM system and not removed automatically (as they are not present in Active directory)?

Thanks

Edited by Datafast

when you PXE boot an unknown computer into WinPE, the Windows subsystem assigns a random MININT-XXXXX computer name to the device, read here for more details and how to fix it

Yes, this is clear, but when the PC is renamed active directory update the name of this pc (in that way the random MININT-XXXXX disappear in AD). Why doesn't  SCCM do the same (syncing the new name  -deleting "MININT" - with active directory)?

What is the process  SCCM use to discover PCs?

Thanks

discovery is based on how you configure Discovery as explained here

you should also review your Maintenance tasks for deleting aged data, check if and when they are enabled and when they run

image.png

Very useful info thank you.

I have another question: once discovery is configured how often does it run/update (discover new machines)?

If I understand correctly when the method discovery system successfully finds a new resource, it registers it and leaves it in the system. Does it have to be removed manually  if it no longer exists/decommissioned? How can it be done?

Thanks

the removal of these discovered devices is governed by the maintenance tasks which i showed above, there are several, you'll have to experiment with the settings

ok in my lab i had 11 minint-xxxxxx devices,

image.png

and for a test I configured the following maintenance tasks, these settings are not suitable for production, it's only a TEST lab, you need to configure the settings to work with your production setup...

Delete Aged Discovery Data

image.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/configmgr/core/servers/manage/reference-for-maintenance-tasks

image.png

and...

after running this test in my lab, it deleted all but one active minint-xxxxxx devices, so I thought that I had solved it,

but... I did retry this on the same lab after restoring it from a snapshot of BEFORE I configured the maintenance tasks and this time it only removed 2 devices, so give it a try yourself and let me know how it goes

you may have to additionally configure the following maintenance tasks, I'd suggest you test in your lab and then provide feedback

• Delete Inactive Client Discovery Data (was 90, was disabled) now every 1 days
  • Delete Aged Unknown Computers Properties (was 30, eveyr saturday) now every 1 days
  • Delete Aged Inventory history (was 90 days every day, now 1, every day)
  • Delete Aged Discovery data (was 90, every saturday, now 1, every day)

ok, thank you.

I will try doing some tests.

In the mean time I was wondering: whether the discovery system works/start automatically.... and ... where I can check how ofter because In my environment, new machines are often created and later I can see on SCCM new minint-xxxxxx machines. 

Edited by Datafast