wjcollector

Cannot run ConfigMgr after Microsoft updates

Question

Hi,

I've been playing around with SCCM 2007 for a while now. Everything was working fine until I installed Microsoft updates on the SCCM Server today.

After updates successfully installed, the server needed to be restarted. After restart, I tried to load ConfigMgr from my desktop. Then I received the attached error messaged named “error"

post-5153-12792236183152_thumb.jpg

A list of the updates installed is also attached named “updatesinstalled”

post-5153-1279223579085_thumb.jpg

So thinking that it would be the “easy fix” I simply uninstalled all the updates I just installed. Now when I start ConfigMgr nothing really happens. It gets to the snap-in never connects to the database. As shown in the attached “waiting”

post-5153-12792235630618_thumb.jpg

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

BYT – Running Server 2008 R2 SQL 2008

-William J

4 answers to this question

Have you checked if the provider is running?

also, check the system logs (eventlog) to ensure all the services started without error :-)

Here is what I found.

This seems to be the most common error.

Event ID 5436

Task Category: SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER

On 7/16/2010 5:37:04 AM, component SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER on computer SCCM reported: MP Control Manager detected management point is not responding to HTTP requests. The HTTP status code and text is 500, Internal Server Error.

Possible cause: Management point encountered an error when connecting to SQL Server.

Solution: Verify that the SQL server is properly configured to allow Management Point access. Verify that management point computer account or the Management Point Database Connection Account is a member of SMS Management Point Role (msdbrole_MP) in the SQL Server database.

Possible cause: The SQL Server Service Principal Names (SPNs) are not registered correctly in Active Directory

Solution: Ensure SQL server SPNs are correctly registered. Review Q829868.

Possible cause: Internet Information Services (IIS) isn't configured to listen on the ports over which SMS is configured to communicate.

Solution: Verify that the designated Web Site is configured to use the same ports which SMS is configured to use.

Possible cause: The designated Web Site is disabled in IIS.

Solution: Verify that the designated Web Site is enabled, and functioning properly.

Possible cause: The SMS ISAPI Application Identity does not have the requisite logon privileges.

Solution: Verify that the account that the SMS ISAPI is configured to run under has not been denied batch logon rights through group policy.

For more information, refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base article 838891.

I'll look into the solutions.

Also, not sure what you mean by provider. Please expand on that. Sorry, still learning the terms.

Thanks, -William J.

Here is what I found.

This seems to be the most common error.

Event ID 5436

Task Category: SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER

On 7/16/2010 5:37:04 AM, component SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER on computer SCCM reported: MP Control Manager detected management point is not responding to HTTP requests. The HTTP status code and text is 500, Internal Server Error.

Possible cause: Management point encountered an error when connecting to SQL Server.

Solution: Verify that the SQL server is properly configured to allow Management Point access. Verify that management point computer account or the Management Point Database Connection Account is a member of SMS Management Point Role (msdbrole_MP) in the SQL Server database.

Possible cause: The SQL Server Service Principal Names (SPNs) are not registered correctly in Active Directory

Solution: Ensure SQL server SPNs are correctly registered. Review Q829868.

Possible cause: Internet Information Services (IIS) isn't configured to listen on the ports over which SMS is configured to communicate.

Solution: Verify that the designated Web Site is configured to use the same ports which SMS is configured to use.

Possible cause: The designated Web Site is disabled in IIS.

Solution: Verify that the designated Web Site is enabled, and functioning properly.

Possible cause: The SMS ISAPI Application Identity does not have the requisite logon privileges.

Solution: Verify that the account that the SMS ISAPI is configured to run under has not been denied batch logon rights through group policy.

For more information, refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base article 838891.

I'll look into the solutions.

Also, not sure what you mean by provider. Please expand on that. Sorry, still learning the terms.

Thanks, -William J.

Can you look at smsadminUI.log from your SCCM adminUI installation folder what is says ?

The SMS Provider is a WMI provider that allows both read and write access to the Configuration Manager 2007 site database. The SMS Provider is used by the Configuration Manager console, Resource Explorer, tools, and custom scripts used by Configuration Manager 2007 administrators to access site information stored in the site database.For more info read http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680613.aspx.

Can you look at smsadminUI.log from your SCCM adminUI installation folder what is says ?

The SMS Provider is a WMI provider that allows both read and write access to the Configuration Manager 2007 site database. The SMS Provider is used by the Configuration Manager console, Resource Explorer, tools, and custom scripts used by Configuration Manager 2007 administrators to access site information stored in the site database.For more info read http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680613.aspx.

After some time needed time away, I took it on with fresh mind this morning. I remembered that we have seen this error before.

Looking back through the documentation and the guide for setting up IIS for SCCM 2007, along the way there was a command that we needed to enter.

net use * http://localhost

I ran that command again, and then a quick reboot, it was up again.

Thanks again for all the help. What a wonderful resource this site is.

-William J