emmathews83

Is there a way to create a USB Stand Alone media for multiple images?

Question

I was wondering if there is a way to create a USB Stand Alone Media for SCCM 2007 R2 that you would be able to choose between images?

Right now we have many different models of laptops and I don't want to make a DVD for each of them, so I was wondering if we could use USB with multiple images.

Example Laptop Models:

-E6510

-E6410

-E6500

-E6400

-D830

-D630

If this is possible how would I do it?

Right now I used the capture disk in SCCM to capture the reference computer with all of our software and then created the boot disk to deploy the image. This works fine besides it taking over an hour to deploy per computer. Which if there is anyway to speed that up that would be great too, because before we used Ghost and it only takes about 15 minutes to deploy the same image.

Thank you,

6 answers to this question

the very nature of usb standalone media means that it is a mandatory task sequence (one task sequence only) therefore only one to choose from

it's not best practise to have one image for each model, that is just not using the technology the way it CAN be used,

what you can very easily do is build and capture one image which in turn can be deployed to all your models via a deploy task sequence, the deploy task sequence will have a driver installation section which is sorted out into groups by model,

eg:

-E6510

-E6410

-E6500

-E6400

-D830

-D630

each group is separated by a WMI query (options tab) which determines what model the computer is and if it matches the group steps run,

and in the group steps you install your driver packges for that model only,

easy to set up (look at this post for details how) and much more professional to manage one task sequence for multiple models rather than one task sequence per model,

trust me it's the way to go

cheers

niall

Ok I read your post for the quickset, but now I guess what I'm asking is how to I create the image and what about all the programs?

Like I said the way I did it now was create a reference computer with XP and all the software and just ran the capture disk. Then I created the boot media cd. Drivers, software are all on the .wim file.

start with a main image containing the os and no drivers, perhaps one or two major apps (eg: office 2010, winzip)

build upon that with the groups i mentioned, in there you can install drivers for the model, plus software (bluetooth apps whatever) and any additional apps

lastly you can have 'common' applications (dynamic) which change often and are small in size,

it's all possible you just have to think it through properly and plan it, start with a piece of paper or whiteboard and some other it people to discuss it

this will take time to decide, plan, and implement but in the long term you'll have a LOT less to manage, and you'll be able to adapt quickly to new models/new applications/new drivers.

Ok, I'm going by your guide in the following link: http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/569-how-can-i-deploy-windows-xp-sp3-using-sccm-2007-sp1-part-1/

The last question I have is how do you setup the special settings for windows?

Examples:

-They want the quick launch bar activated

-They don't want the Desktop Cleaup Wizard to run

-Certain Screensaver

-Internet Explorer Homepage set to our sharepoint site

I mean just little stuff like that.

Also, I tried the quickset on my reference computer and it failed say I need to install a newer version of Windows installer, but I have that computer fully updated with the updates from Microsoft. Also the speed question that I had earlier right now the images are around 3.5GB's if I do this with everything won't that make the image even bigger which would take alot longer? Unless you know of a way to speed it up?

Thanks again niall

I'd set these configurations through Active directory Group policies.... easier to manage and more flexibility over the changes.

I think what niall means is build a reference image, with your small common tools, and then have a deploy task sequence which actually deploys the image and then the larger applications like office, SAP, etc...

thats how most people do it... my "base/gold" image is still 2.2Gb for Win7 x86 and has no drivers, but has winrar, bginfo, pstools, adobe reader, flash, etc.

Build

x86 Windows 7 Enterprise Build 0.9a.xml

Deploy

x86 Windows 7 Enterprise Deploy 0.9a.xml

Ok, I got an ideal on what to do now, the only other thing is that for the new E series laptops don't use quickset, they use Control Point Manager. Would this be the same setup as quickset? Or should I manually add the drivers into a package in SCCM?

Thanks guys for all your help so far.