RGB09

MDT 2010 rebuild

Question

I have had to rebuild the WDS server and reinstall MDT2010. The problem is that the files (Deployment Share) folder resided on a separate HDD, along with the WDS images and files. Recreating and linking the WDS bit was fine and we had no problems with the images and deploying. However MDT 2010 was different and when we try to use MDT the PC that we try to capture an image to says that it is unable to connect to the server and the possible cause could be a credentials problem. We have reset the permissions on the the folder but this problem is still occurring. Any ideas.

1 answer to this question

What I do when I want to move/clone my MDT I make a backup of the deployment share folder.

Once I have this I make my new Server. i.e. SAMDT002

On this I install Server 2008 R2 (Fully patched via WSUS).

Anti-virus

MDT2010 Update1

WDS

Windows 7 AIK

Now setup my MDT deployment share, default values for CustomSettings.ini and Bootstrap.ini

Now I have that created, delete all files inside my DeploymentShare$ folder. And replace them with all the files from my backup.

Now that the files are on, I open all .xml files with Notepad++ and then do a search and replace on all open documents. The info I replace is the OLD servername with the new one.

This is now the server moved.

NOTE: If you still have an issue with it wanting the old server, simply add this to your customsettings.ini

DeployRoot=\\SAMDT002\DeploymentShare$

(this goes under [Default])

Note that I used my new servername, replace that with your own.

same needs to be done in the bootstrap.ini

Please +REP if i helped you, also if you need any more help I will help if I can.