Winterfall

How to prevent Windows 2008 Server register to KMS Server ?

Question

Hi,

I have a problem about KMS, I working in University that have campus agreement and implemented KMS but I have a big problem about it.

Number of License windows server are limited. Normally, user using public key to register to KMS. If They install Windows Server and use public key of Windows Server register to my KMS, The number of Windows Server License that I have will increase. So I need to prevent this situation.

Thank you.,

1 answer to this question

well i think KMS i dependant on DNS to work properly.

so if you remove the DNS SRV record no computer should be able to activate against this KMS server unless you manually run this command:

To set the IP adress of the KMS:

cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr -skms <kms-ip-address>

The activation command:

cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato

You should also be able to use diffrent DNS servers.

Use two DNS servers for your servers and another set of DNS servers for your public network. The DNS servers used by the university should of course hold the KMS SRV record.

Don´t know if this is the best solution (im no licence guru), but I think it should work..