ranjb

WDS hangs on "windows is loading files"

Question

Hi

Was wondering if someone can help.

We have a bare bone customised image of WIndows 7 enterprise on a new WDS server we created. It runs on Server 2008 R2 so has the extra features of WDS such as driver injection but when we boot via PXE on a few laptops and choose the image, it begins the progress bar but then just says "windows is loading files" and just hangs there. It only seems to be with 2 specific laptops which have a CLEVO motherboard, other desktops and laptops seem to be fine.

We have injected the proper network and chipset drivers into the boot image. There wasn't a BIOS update needed for these laptops.

Whats odd when it boots up WDS it tries to load x64 WDS. We have WDS on a x64 server,is this why it is happening?

Has anyone had similar issues like this. All I want to do is put a customised wim file onto a laptop.

Is there a way I can use imagex to deploy a wim file. I tried to do it with imagex /apply but it failed.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

2 answers to this question

I'm having the exact same problem with a HP Pavillion dv9312eu laptop. (nVidia LAN)

Retrieving Boot.SDI takes approx 20mins (3MB file) and Boot.WIM takes days.

Got both a x64 and x86 image, same behaviour on both.

Other machines grabs the files very quick, one had even deployed the whole Win7 Enterprise in the time the laptop retrieved 40% of Boot.SDI

WMMAYMS / Tobias, got any suggestions?

Edit: WDS runs on Server 2008 R2

I'm having the exact same problem with a HP Pavillion dv9312eu laptop. (nVidia LAN)

Retrieving Boot.SDI takes approx 20mins (3MB file) and Boot.WIM takes days.

Got both a x64 and x86 image, same behaviour on both.

Other machines grabs the files very quick, one had even deployed the whole Win7 Enterprise in the time the laptop retrieved 40% of Boot.SDI

WMMAYMS / Tobias, got any suggestions?

Edit: WDS runs on Server 2008 R2

I found the problem..

Changing the port in the switch from autonegotiate (1000/100/10) to 100FDX solved it and things went much faster.

Must be some problems with the autonegotiating of speed in the nVidia chipset on the laptop.