DizzleSizzle

Deploying Images with SCCM SP2

Question

4 answers to this question

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to deploy images to clients only for PXE. I don't want to advertise the image/Task sequence to collection for them to cache. I want to just be able to PXE boot a machine at any given point. Any ideas? Thanks

Hi,

Just change the advertisement to run everything from the distribution point and don't make the advert mandatory. Advertise to the All Systems or something like that.

You will have to hit F12 to start the pxe boot after choosing network imaging, then choose the image and then it will run for you.

We do that here. You can't hide the advertisement from the "Run advertised programs" though. (unless someone has a way!)

Regards

I wouldnt advertise to the all systems collection unless you REALLY know what you are doing, there's a great risk of installing your servers with XP or something odd if you make a mistake, so don't do it unless you are absolutely sure of what you are doing.

in addition, you can hide advertisements from RAP, simply target them to a different os in your organisation, see the how can I password protect a TS post here and scroll down for details of that

I wouldnt advertise to the all systems collection unless you REALLY know what you are doing, there's a great risk of installing your servers with XP or something odd if you make a mistake, so don't do it unless you are absolutely sure of what you are doing.

in addition, you can hide advertisements from RAP, simply target them to a different os in your organisation, see the how can I password protect a TS post here and scroll down for details of that

Yeah, I really was being a bit flippant regarding the "All Systems", we don't either. Thanks for the heads up on the hiding them.

Regards

Gavin

How do i target a different os for a task sequence advertisement? I never get the screen as i do when i deploy software which ask me "what os can this program run on". am i missing something?

Nevermind, your link solved my problem and down the road issues. great post!